Like many streaming services, TV Tokyo is region-locked. This means it’s only available in Japan. If you try to access it from anywhere else, you’ll see the following error:
“This video is restricted from playing in your current geographic region.”
The good news is that anybody can bypass geo-restrictions by using a Virtual Private Network (VPN). A VPN is a privacy tool that conceals your location from the websites you visit. By connecting to a server in Japan, you gain access to a temporary Japanese IP address.
As a result, you can easily stream TV Tokyo or any other Japanese service while outside of the country. A VPN also encrypts your internet connection to prevent ISPs, government agencies, and local networks from tracking your web visits. This means you can also use a VPN to unblock TV Tokyo within Japan if it has been restricted.
Not all VPNs have servers that work to stream TV Tokyo. This is because TV Tokyo and other streaming platforms actively block VPN IPs. The good news is that we have found some VPNs that still work:
Best VPNs for TV Tokyo:
- NordVPN: Our top choice for streaming TV Tokyo abroad. This privacy-focused VPN offers cutting-edge security features, a no-logs policy, and fast, reliable connections.
- Surfshark: Our best budget pick for watching TV Tokyo outside of Japan.A versatile service with no connection limit and speeds fast enough for flawless live streaming.
- ExpressVPN: Boasts high speeds, a great record on privacy and security, and excellent unblocking abilities.
- CyberGhost: With thousands of high-speed servers, and strong security features, CyberGhost makes it easy to watch TV Tokyo abroad or at work.
- PrivateVPN: A zero-logs provider with some of the fastest speeds we’ve seen. Strong on security and capable of unblocking TV Tokyo, Netflix US, and more.
- Hotspot Shield: High-speed Japanese servers, and powerful security features make Hotspot Shield a great choice for streaming TV Tokyo from anywhere.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN FOR TOKYO TV RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Tokyo TV without limits or restrictions for a month – great if you want to stream your favorite shows on vacation.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to watch TV Tokyo from abroad with a VPN
Don’t worry: it’s easy to change your location and unblock content with a VPN. Below is a step-by-step guide for watching TV Tokyo abroad – or on a restricted network.
Here’s how to watch TV Tokyo online from anywhere:
- Start by signing up for a VPN if you haven’t already. All of the services below are good choices but we particularly recommend NordVPN.
- Download the VPN app and install it on any device you’d like to stream on. When you’re ready, log in.
- Connect to one of your VPN’s Japanese servers.
- Visit the TV Tokyo website. If you’d like to watch premium-only content, you’ll have to sign in, although this service also offers plenty of free-to-watch shows.
- Finally, try playing a video. It should begin right away, but if not, you can fix most issues by clearing your browser’s cookies and reloading the page.
Best VPNs for watching TV Tokyo outside of Japan
Hundreds of VPNs claim to provide fast speeds, large networks, and superb unblocking capabilities. Unfortunately, most of those VPNs are lying.
We understand the frustration of spending money on an inferior VPN. That is why we use a strict VPN testing methodology to recommend VPNs. Below, we have included the most important criteria we used to pick the top VPNs for Tokyo TV:
- Able to unblock TV Tokyo and other major streaming platforms
- Offers reliable, high-speed connections
- Keeps you safe with effectively uncrackable encryption and plenty of other security features
- Doesn’t log any personally identifiable information
- Provides apps for a wide range of operating systems and devices
Let’s jump right in and take a closer look at the best VPNs for streaming TV Tokyo abroad:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is an excellent choice for anyone who likes to stream. To begin with, it boasts a huge network, with over 5,100 servers in 60 countries (and over 80 in Japan alone). Additionally, it’s able to unblock major platforms like TV Tokyo, Netflix, and Hulu from anywhere in the world. Speeds are fast enough for lag-free streaming, and with six simultaneous connections permitted, you’ll be able to watch wherever you go.
We particularly like that this VPN puts major emphasis on security. All of the key features are included: 256-bit encryption, protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks, and a customizable kill switch. That’s not all, though: NordVPN also offers a malware-scanner, ad-blocker, and access to special obfuscated servers for even greater privacy. This service follows a strict no-logs policy. If you need help, live chat is available 24/7.
NordVPN provides apps for Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS, and Linux. Some routers are also supported, although the service will have to be manually installed.
- Wide range of security features
- 80+ high-speed Japanese servers
- Unblocks all but the most stubborn services
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Allows torrenting
- Desktop app takes a little getting used to
BEST BUDGET VPN FOR TV TOKYO:NordVPN lets you access TV Tokyo, Netflix Japan, and more from abroad. Better still, its advanced security features and no-logging policy ensure that you can do so safely. NordVPN comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For more information, check out the full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark’s exceptional accessibility makes it easy to watch all your favorite shows, whether they’re on TV Tokyo, Netflix Japan, or Hulu. Plus, it’s fast enough to stream live HD video without any noticeable lag. Best of all, this service allows you to connect as many devices as you like, which makes it perfect for large households.
This provider keeps you safe using 256-bit encryption, a built-in ad-blocker and malware-scanner, a kill switch, and protection against DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks. It also boasts a NoBorders mode for unblocking country-wide internet restrictions and a split-tunneling feature that lets certain apps or websites bypass the VPN entirely. Surfshark doesn’t store any personally identifiable data. Need help? Support is on-hand over live chat, 24/7.
Surfshark apps are available for MacOS, Android, Windows, iOS, and Linux devices. It also works with select network routers but you’ll have to configure it manually.
- Accesses some of the most popular streaming services abroad
- Lets you connect an unlimited number of devices
- Many advanced security features
- Fastest VPN currently available on the market
- Kill-switch and obfuscation
- Occasional slower server
GREAT FOR STREAMING:Surfshark offers unlimited connections, fast speeds, and strong security. It also unblocks stubborn platforms like TV Tokyo with ease, from anywhere. Still not convinced? This service offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Check out our comprehensive Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN works particularly well with TV Tokyo thanks to its reliable, high-speed connections and excellent unblocking ability. In fact, with more than 3,000 servers covering 94 countries, you’ll be able to access platforms like Netflix Japan, BBC iPlayer, and Hulu as well. Looking to protect multiple devices? ExpressVPN permits up to five connections at once.
This service doesn’t skimp when it comes to security. It protects you against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks, hides your traffic with 256-bit AES encryption, and ensures you never have to browse unprotected with a built-in kill switch. ExpressVPN doesn’t log any data that could be used to identify you. If you’d like, you can pay in Bitcoin for another layer of privacy. Customer support is on-hand 24/7 via live chat and email.
ExpressVPN offers novice-friendly iOS, Android, MacOS, Windows, and Linux apps. There’s even custom router firmware which makes it fairly simple to protect all of your devices at once. It also topped our list as the overall best VPN service.
- Comprehensive security and privacy features
- Easily unblocks TV Tokyo abroad
- Fast enough to play HD video without buffering
- Anonymous setup and payments available
- Slightly higher cost than others
BEST VPN FOR TV TOKYO:ExpressVPN offers the perfect blend of security, unblocking ability, and ease of use, making it ideal for anyone who wants to live stream TV Tokyo outside of Japan. What’s more, this service includes a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Why not read our complete ExpressVPN review?
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN might not have as many servers as some other services, with around 200 spread across 63 countries, but it is one of the fastest we’ve tested. Coupled with exceptional unblocking ability, this means you’ll be able to use all of your favorite streaming services (including TV Tokyo) from abroad, with no noticeable lag or buffering. What’s more, users can connect up to six of their devices at once.
This VPN keeps your activities hidden at all times using 256-bit encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and an app-specific kill switch that stops sending data the second your connection drops. It also offers a stealth mode that helps you bypass more stubborn VPN-blocking measures. PrivateVPN is a zero-logs provider, so your privacy is in good hands. Live chat-based support is available 22 hours per day in case of any issues.
PrivateVPN has simple, easy-to-use apps for Linux, MacOS, Windows, iOS, and Android. If you’d prefer, you can manually install it on your home router.
- High speeds make for lag-free streaming
- Strong focus on privacy
- Exceptional unblocking capabilities
- Small but growing network of servers
NO LOGGING:PrivateVPN is an extremely fast service with all of the security and privacy tools you need for near-total anonymity. As if that wasn’t enough, it also works to stream TV Tokyo, Hulu Japan, and Netflix Japan. This VPN includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
We take a closer look at this service in our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Hotspot Shield offers access to 3,200+ servers in more than 80 countries including Japan. It provides consistently high speeds too, which makes it an excellent way to stream TV Tokyo abroad. In fact, this VPN even unblocks major services like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and DAZN, so there’s very little you won’t be able to watch while traveling. Best of all, Hotspot Shield has a five-connection limit, allowing you to stream at home and on the move.
This service uses 256-bit encryption to keep your traffic hidden at all times. There’s also protection against IPv6 and DNS leaks, a kill switch, and the option to connect automatically any time you use an unsecured network. Hotspot Shield doesn’t store any information that could identify you once your session is over. If you have any issues, you can reach support over 24/7 live chat.
Hotspot Shield provides apps for iOS, MacOS, Android, and Windows, plus it can be manually installed on select wireless routers.
- Keeps no usage logs
- Excellent unblocking potential
- Super-fast proprietary VPN protocol
- Kill-switch on all platforms
- Can’t be installed on Linux
- Some connections logs
- Based in the USA
VERY HIGH SPEEDS:Hotspot Shield makes it easy to watch TV Tokyo abroad thanks to its high-speed Japanese servers, powerful security features, and strong unblocking capabilities. This service comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read the full review of Hotspot Shield.
TV TOKYO VPN FAQs
Can I watch TV Tokyo abroad using a free VPN?
You may be tempted to try watching TV Tokyo with a free VPN but we strongly advise against it. For a start, these services often have more users than their networks can support. This leads to slow speeds and long loading times, which is the exact opposite of what you want when live streaming. Further, free VPNs are often the first to be blacklisted by major streaming services, so even if you find one with decent speeds, you still might not be able to watch.
How confident are you that you can spot a fake VPN app? According to recent research, the Google Play Store has dozens of them. Worse, even if you manage to avoid all of the malicious software out there, you still might end up choosing a service that uses no encryption and that is effectively no safer than browsing normally. Unfortunately, larger providers aren’t necessarily any safer, as we found out during the Hola botnet scandal.
The best way to stay safe online is to use a reputable, well-established VPN with a proven record of protecting its customers’ privacy.
What can I watch on TV Tokyo?
TV Tokyo offers a very varied selection of shows, covering everything from drama to anime to news. Better still, many of these can be watched for free. Below, we’ve listed some of the titles you can stream free of charge on TV Tokyo:
- 僕はどこから (Where Am I?)
- ゆるキャン△ (Yuru Camp)
- 日経プラス10 (Nikkei Plus 10)
- モヤモヤさまぁ～ず２ (Moyamoya Samazu 2)
- ワカコ酒 (Wakako-zake)
- 駐在刑事 (Resident Detective)
- フルーツ宅配便 (Fruits Delivery Service)
- Ultraman Chronicle: ZERO & GEED