Like many streaming services, TV Tokyo is region-locked. This means it’s only available in Japan. If you try to access it from anywhere else, you’ll see the following error:
“This video is restricted from playing in your current geographic region.”
The good news is that anybody can bypass geo-restrictions by using a Virtual Private Network (VPN). A VPN is a privacy tool that conceals your location from the websites you visit.
As a result, you can easily stream TV Tokyo or any other Japanese service while outside of the country. A VPN also encrypts your internet connection to prevent ISPs, government agencies, and local networks from tracking your web visits. This means you can also use a VPN to unblock TV Tokyo within Japan if it has been restricted.
If you are currently traveling abroad, you’ll need to use a VPN to watch your favorite shows from back home on TV Tokyo. Not all VPNs have servers that work to stream TV Tokyo. This is because TV Tokyo and other streaming platforms actively block VPN IPs. The good news is that we have found some VPNs that still work. we go into detail on all of them later and explain how to use them, but in case you’re short on time, here’s a summary.
Best VPNs for TV Tokyo:
- NordVPN: Our top choice for streaming TV Tokyo abroad. This privacy-focused VPN offers cutting-edge security features, a no-logs policy, and fast, reliable connections. 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Our best budget pick for watching TV Tokyo outside of Japan. A versatile service with no connection limit and speeds fast enough for flawless live streaming.
- ExpressVPN: Boasts high speeds, a great record on privacy and security, excellent unblocking abilities, and servers in 94 countries, including Japan.
- CyberGhost: With thousands of high-speed servers, and strong security features, CyberGhost makes it easy to watch TV Tokyo abroad or at work.
- IPVanish: High-speed servers in Tokyo, Japan, for watching TV Tokyo lag-free. Connect as many devices as you like simultaneously. Has a zero-logs policy.
- PrivateVPN: A zero-logs provider with some of the fastest speeds we’ve seen. Strong on security and capable of accessing TV Tokyo, Netflix US, and more.
- Hotspot Shield: High-speed Japanese servers and powerful security features make Hotspot Shield a great choice for streaming TV Tokyo from anywhere.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN FOR TV TOKYO RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up on this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for TV Tokyo without limits or restrictions for a month – great if you want to stream your favorite shows on vacation.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you, and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to watch TV Tokyo from abroad with a VPN
Don’t worry: it’s easy to change your location and unblock content with a VPN. Below is a step-by-step guide for watching TV Tokyo abroad – or on a restricted network.
Here’s how to watch TV Tokyo online from anywhere:
- Start by signing up for a VPN if you haven’t already. All of the services below are good choices, but we particularly recommend NordVPN.
- Download the VPN app and install it on any device you’d like to stream on. When you’re ready, log in.
- Connect to one of your VPN’s Japanese servers, this will give you the Japanese IP address you need to bypass TV Tokyo’s geographic restrictions.
- Visit the TV Tokyo website. If you’d like to watch premium-only content, you’ll have to sign in, although this service also offers plenty of free-to-watch shows.
- Finally, try playing a video. It should begin right away, but if not, you can fix most issues by clearing your browser’s cookies and reloading the page.
Best VPNs for Watching TV Tokyo from anywhere – at a glance
We’ve compared the most important features for the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for accessing TV Tokyo outside Japan.
|Website||NordVPN.com||Surfshark.com||ExpressVPN.com||Cyberghost.com||IPVanish.com||PrivateVPN.com||Ranking for TV Tokyo||1||2||3||4||5||6||Avg Speed (Mbps)||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||39 Mbps||Servers in Japan||Simultaneous Connections||6||Unlimited||5||7||Unlimited||10||Popular Sites Unblocked||95%||88%||86%||85%||70%||85%|
|Best deal (per month)||$3.19|
SAVE 61% + 3 month FREE
Get 2 Months FREE with a 2-year plan
SAVE: 49% on the annual plan
SAVE 82% on the 2 year plan + 2 months FREE
SAVE 72% on the 2 year plan
SAVE 85% on the three year plan
Best VPNs for watching TV Tokyo outside of Japan
Below, we have included the most important criteria we used to pick the top VPNs for Tokyo TV:
- Able to unblock TV Tokyo and other major streaming platforms
- Offers reliable, high-speed connections
- Keeps you safe with effectively uncrackable encryption and plenty of other security features
- Doesn’t log any personally identifiable information
- Provides apps for a wide range of operating systems and devices
You can find out more about our VPN testing methodology further in this article. For now, let’s jump right in and take a closer look at the ones that made the grade.
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for streaming TV Tokyo abroad:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is an excellent choice for anyone who likes to stream. To begin with, it boasts a huge network, with over 5,400 servers in 60+ countries (and over 80 in Japan alone). It’s able to access major platforms like TV Tokyo, Netflix, and Hulu from anywhere in the world. Speeds are fast enough for lag-free streaming, and with six simultaneous connections permitted, you’ll be able to watch wherever you go.
We particularly like that this VPN puts a major emphasis on security. All of the key features are included: 256-bit encryption, protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks, and a customizable kill switch. That’s not all, though: NordVPN also offers a malware scanner, ad-blocker, and access to special obfuscated servers for even greater privacy. This service follows a strict no-logs policy. If you need help, live chat is available 24/7.
NordVPN provides apps for Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, and Linux. Some routers are also supported, although the service will have to be manually installed.
- Wide range of security features
- 80+ high-speed Japanese servers
- Unblocks all but the most stubborn services
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Allows torrenting
- 24/7 live chat support
- Desktop app takes a little getting used to
BEST VPN FOR TV TOKYO:NordVPN is our #1 choice. It let’s you access TV Tokyo, Netflix Japan, and more from abroad. Better still, its advanced security features and no-logging policy ensure that you can do so safely. NordVPN comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For more information, check out the full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark’s exceptional accessibility makes it easy to watch all your favorite shows, whether they’re on TV Tokyo, Netflix Japan, or Hulu. Plus, it’s fast enough to stream live HD video without any noticeable lag. Best of all, this service allows you to connect as many devices as you like, which makes it perfect for large households.
This provider keeps you safe using 256-bit encryption, a built-in ad-blocker and malware scanner, a kill switch, and protection against DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks. It also boasts a NoBorders mode for unblocking country-wide internet restrictions and a split-tunneling feature that lets certain apps or websites bypass the VPN entirely. Surfshark doesn’t store any personally identifiable data. Need help? Support is on-hand over live chat, 24/7.
Surfshark apps are available for macOS, Android, Windows, iOS, and Linux devices. It also works with select network routers, but you’ll have to configure it manually.
- Accesses some of the most popular streaming services abroad
- Lets you connect an unlimited number of devices
- Many advanced security features
- One of the fastest VPNs on the market
- Kill-switch and obfuscation
- Occasional slower server
BEST BUDGET CHOICE:Surfshark offers unlimited connections, fast speeds, and strong security. It also unlocks stubborn platforms like TV Tokyo with ease from anywhere. Still not convinced? This service offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Check out our comprehensive Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN works particularly well with TV Tokyo thanks to its reliable, high-speed connections and excellent unblocking ability. In fact, with more than 3,000 servers covering 94 countries, including various locations in Japan, you’ll be able to access platforms like Netflix Japan, BBC iPlayer, and Hulu as well. Looking to protect multiple devices? ExpressVPN permits up to five connections at once.
This service doesn’t skimp when it comes to security. It protects you against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks, hides your traffic with 256-bit AES encryption, and ensures you never have to browse unprotected with a built-in kill switch. ExpressVPN doesn’t log any data that could be used to identify you. If you’d like, you can pay in Bitcoin for another layer of privacy. Customer support is on-hand 24/7 via live chat and email.
ExpressVPN offers novice-friendly iOS, Android, macOS, Windows, and Linux apps. There’s even custom router firmware which makes it fairly simple to protect all of your devices at once.
- Comprehensive security and privacy features
- Easily unblocks TV Tokyo abroad
- Fast enough to play HD video without buffering
- Anonymous set up and payments are available
- Knowledgable customer support available 24/7
- Slightly higher cost than others
- Streaming servers aren’t labeled
FAST STREAMING:ExpressVPN offers the perfect blend of security, unblocking ability, and ease of use, making it ideal for anyone who wants to live stream TV Tokyo outside of Japan. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Why not read our complete ExpressVPN review?
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish now offers more than 2,000 servers around the world. Indeed, its network covers some 75+ locations, including Tokyo, Japan. Not only can you use this VPN to watch TV Tokyo, but it also works well with Japanese TV such as TV Asahi and NHK. You can even use IPVanish to securely access Netflix Japan from abroad. It offers some of the fastest speeds we’ve tested, making it particularly suitable for streaming.
With your IPVanish account, there’s no limit to the number of devices you can connect at the same time. Once connected, your internet traffic is routed through a 256-bit AES encrypted tunnel for maximum security. There’s also a kill switch feature and protection from DNS leaks. You don’t need to worry about identifying data being sold or stolen because IPVanish also operates a strict no-logs policy.
IPVanish apps can be downloaded for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. However, it doesn’t offer any browser extensions, while manual setup is required in order to use it with Linux and compatible wifi routers.
- Servers in Tokyo that work with TV Tokyo and other popular channels
- Particularly fast server speeds for streaming without interruptions
- Connect as many devices as you like simultaneously
- Zero-logs policy means you can maintain online anonymity
- No browser extensions available
- Doesn’t provide any anonymous payment options, such as Bitcoin
STREAMING-FRIENDLY:IPVanish is compatible with Japanese TV such as TV Tokyo as well as Netflix Japan. Very fast with the option to connect all of your devices at once. Zero-logs policy and 24/7 support. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN might not have as many servers as some other services, with only around 200 spread across 63 countries, but it is one of the fastest we’ve tested. Coupled with exceptional unblocking ability, this means you’ll be able to use all of your favorite streaming services (including TV Tokyo) from abroad with no noticeable lag or buffering. What’s more, users can connect up to ten of their devices at once.
This VPN keeps your activities hidden at all times using 256-bit encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and an app-specific kill switch that stops sending data the second your connection drops. It also offers a stealth mode that helps you bypass more stubborn VPN-blocking measures. PrivateVPN is a zero-logs provider, so your privacy is in good hands. Live chat-based support is available 22 hours per day in case of any issues.
PrivateVPN has simple, easy-to-use apps for Linux, macOS, Windows, iOS, and Android. If you’d prefer, you can manually install it on your home router.
- High speeds make for lag-free streaming
- Strong focus on privacy
- Exceptional unblocking capabilities
- Small but growing network of servers
- Live chat not 24/7
NO LOGGING:PrivateVPN is an extremely fast service with all of the security and privacy tools you need for near-total anonymity. As if that wasn’t enough, it also works to stream TV Tokyo, Hulu Japan, and Netflix Japan. This VPN includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
We take a closer look at this service in our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Editor’s Note: Hotspot Shield is owned by Pango, Comparitech’s parent company.
Hotspot Shield offers access to 1,800+ servers in more than 80 countries, including Japan. It provides consistently high speeds too, which makes it an excellent way to stream TV Tokyo abroad. In fact, this VPN even works with major services like Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video, so there’s very little, you won’t be able to watch while traveling. Best of all, Hotspot Shield has a five-connection limit, allowing you to stream at home and on the move.
This service uses 256-bit encryption to keep your traffic hidden at all times. There’s also protection against IPv6 and DNS leaks, a kill switch, and the option to connect automatically any time you use an unsecured network. Hotspot Shield doesn’t store any information that could identify you once your session is over. If you have any issues, you can reach support over 24/7 live chat.
Hotspot Shield provides apps for iOS, macOS, Android, and Windows, plus it can be manually installed on select wireless routers.
- Keeps no usage logs
- Excellent unblocking potential
- Kill-switch on all platforms
- Can’t be installed on Linux
- Some connections logs
- Based in the USA
VERY HIGH SPEEDS:Hotspot Shield makes it easy to watch TV Tokyo abroad thanks to its high-speed Japanese servers, powerful security features, and strong unblocking capabilities. This service comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read the full review of Hotspot Shield.
It pays to do a little research before deciding which VPN to use. The problem is that every service is different, and not all of them are well-suited to streaming Japanese TV from abroad. To make sure we only recommend VPNs that truly excel, we identified a few key areas and laid out what we expect from our recommended services in each:
- Servers in Japan: This one’s obvious; without Japanese servers, you won’t be able to stream TV Tokyo. Still, we’d like a good number to choose from since this helps spread the load and ensures you’ll be able to watch even while some are down for maintenance.
- High speeds: Live streaming is fairly data-intensive, so a fast connection is vital. We regularly test leading VPNs to see how fast they are. Needless to say, only those that perform well make our list.
- Powerful security tools: We require VPNs to have, at a bare minimum, uncrackable encryption, a kill switch, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks. However, we’d like to see providers go further, whether it’s with a stealth mode or even their own protocol.
- A strong privacy focus: We will never recommend VPNs that keep logs of your activities. Ideally, you’d be able to pay in cryptocurrency too.
- User-friendly apps: The services above should be easy enough for anyone to use, and should have apps for all major operating systems. We strongly prefer VPNs with no connection limits and 24/7 support too, since these make things even easier for novices.
- Fair pricing: Some providers are unreasonably expensive for the functionality they offer. This just isn’t good enough. We only recommend competitively-priced VPNs and will highlight any deals, trials, or guarantees available, so you always get the best price.
To find out more about how we put services through their paces, just check out our full VPN testing methodology post.
TV Tokyo VPN FAQs
Can I watch TV Tokyo abroad using a free VPN?
You may be tempted to try watching TV Tokyo with a free VPN, but we strongly advise against it. For a start, these services often have more users than their networks can support. This leads to slow speeds and long loading times, which is the exact opposite of what you want when live streaming. Further, free VPNs are often the first to be blacklisted by major streaming services, so even if you find one with decent speeds, you still might not be able to watch.
How confident are you that you can spot a fake VPN app? According to recent research, the Google Play Store has dozens of them. Worse, even if you manage to avoid all of the malicious software out there, you still might end up choosing a service that uses no encryption, and that is effectively no safer than browsing normally. Unfortunately, larger providers aren’t necessarily any safer, as we found out during the Hola botnet scandal.
The best way to stay safe online is to use a reputable, well-established VPN with a proven record of protecting its customers’ privacy.
What can I watch on TV Tokyo?
TV Tokyo offers a very varied selection of shows, covering everything from drama to anime to news. Better still, many of these can be watched for free. Below, we’ve listed some of the titles you can stream free of charge on TV Tokyo:
- 僕はどこから (Where Am I?)
- ゆるキャン△ (Yuru Camp)
- 日経プラス10 (Nikkei Plus 10)
- モヤモヤさまぁ～ず２ (Moyamoya Samazu 2)
- ワカコ酒 (Wakako-zake)
- 駐在刑事 (Resident Detective)
- フルーツ宅配便 (Fruits Delivery Service)
- Ultraman Chronicle: ZERO & GEED
Can I get TV Tokyo in America?
Unfortunately for anyone traveling internationally, TV Tokyo is only available in Japan. If you try to watch from anywhere else, videos will either simply refuse to play or will show an error that says “This video is restricted from playing in your current geographic region.”
On the plus side, it’s fairly easy to watch as long as you have an existing account and a VPN. Just connect to a server in Japan to change your IP address, login, and you’ll be able to stream as normal, even while abroad.
Is using a VPN in Japan illegal?
Not at all! If you take a look at our list of where VPNs are legal and where they’re banned, you’ll find that they’re legal in the vast majority of countries, Japan included. As such, you can use a VPN in Japan and change your IP address without having to worry about any legal consequences (unlike in China).
Note: It should be stressed that illegal activities such as torrenting copyrighted material remain illegal regardless of whether a VPN is used or not. Comparitech does not provide legal advice, and nothing in this article should be considered as such.
Related: The Best VPNs for Japan