Netflix changes its content from one country to another, meaning some shows are only available in some countries. If you encounter the following message on Netflix, it’s because the system has detected that you’re using a VPN, proxy, or unblocker service of some sort:
“You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again.”
The best way to fix this Netflix unblocker or proxy error is by using a quality VPN. If you’re already using a VPN, seeing the error means that it’s unable to unblock Netflix or, at the very least, the IP address you’re using has been blacklisted by Netflix. Below, we’ve listed the best VPNs for Netflix; these can bypass the platform’s region-locking and allow you to watch almost any Netflix library, from anywhere in the world.
How to fix Netflix unblocker or proxy error.
This common Netflix streaming error is due to Netflix detecting the use of a VPN or proxy service. The good news is that it’s quick and easy to fix the Netflix unblocker or proxy error. Our step-by-step guide explains what you need to do if you are getting the message “you seem to be using an unblocker or proxy”.
Here’s how to fix the Netflix proxy error:
- Sign up with a VPN that can unblock Netflix – we recommend ExpressVPN.
- Download and install the appropriate VPN app or browser extension for your device.
- Open the VPN app or browser extension and connect to a server in the country from which you want to watch Netflix. For example, a US server for unblocking Netflix US.
- Clear your browser’s cache and cookies. This ensures Netflix forgets your actual IP address and location. It will then accept the new IP address provided by the VPN.
- Go to Netflix and select your preferred content which should now be unblocked! If not, try another server. Alternatively, contact your VPN’s customer support for further assistance.
Don’t have time to read the full article? Here’s a short summary of the best VPNs to fix the Netflix “you seem to be using an unblocker or proxy” error:
Best VPNs for fixing Netflix proxy error
- ExpressVPN: Our top choice for fixing the Netflix proxy error. Over 3,000 servers in 94 counties. Unblocks Netflix and Amazon Prime. 24/7 support, user-friendly apps, and strong security with encryption.
- NordVPN: Best budget option for Netflix. Over 5,000 servers worldwide. Also unblocks Amazon Prime Video and BBC iPlayer. Use on up to six devices. No-logs VPN with 24/7 support.
- CyberGhost: High-speed servers for streaming Netflix. Secure VPN with encryption and a strict no-logs policy. Connect up to seven devices. Includes 24/7 live support.
- PrivateVPN: Fix the Netflix proxy error. Also works with BBC iPlayer and Hulu. Very fast servers for buffer and lag-free streaming. User-friendly apps and a no-logs policy.
- Surfshark: Connect an unlimited number of devices. Unblocks Netflix and BBC iPlayer. No logs, 24/7 support, and beginner-friendly apps and browser extensions.
- HideMyAss: IP addresses in most countries. Bypass Netflix anti-VPN measures. Desktop and mobile apps and 24/7 support. Security features include encryption.
Which VPNs still work with Netflix in 2019?
In an effort to save you some time, we’ve come up with a list of the best VPNs to bypass the Netflix geo-restrictions. VPNs were selected based on their meeting the following criteria:
- Servers that successfully unblock Netflix
- Fast and consistent connections for streaming
- Secures your data with encryption and no-logs policy
- Offers live chat and email support, preferably 24/7
- Beginner-friendly apps for desktop and mobile
- Money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free
Best VPNs to fix Netflix “you seem to be using an unblocker or proxy” error
Here’s our list of the best VPNs to fix the Netflix unblocker or proxy error:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has servers in 94 countries, allowing you to unblock many different Netflix libraries. This VPN’s server network consists of more than 3,000 servers in countries including the US, UK, Australia, and Japan. Aside from being able to bypass the Netflix proxy error, ExpressVPN also unblocks Amazon Prime Video and BBC iPlayer. Further, it lets you connect up to five devices simultaneously via a single account.
While ExpressVPN stands out for its ability to unblock so many region-locked websites and services, it’s also known to be very beginner-friendly. There’s 24/7 live chat and email support, plus the apps and browser extensions make it simple to connect to a server. Security is another of ExpressVPN’s strengths. It secures your data using 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS and IPv6 leak protection. This VPN is headquartered in the British Virgin Islands and doesn’t keep any identifying logs of its users.
You can use ExpressVPN via the apps for desktop (Windows, Mac, Linux), mobile (Android and iOS), and routers. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available.
- Servers in 94 countries for unblocking various Netflix libraries
- Fast, consistent servers for lag and buffer-free streaming
- Also works with Amazon Prime Video and BBC iPlayer
- Uses encryption and a kill switch to keep your data secure
- Includes 24/7 via live chat and email
- Excellent, easy-to-use apps and browser extensions
- Slightly more expensive than most VPNs
BEST VPN TO FIX NETFLIX PROXY ERROR:ExpressVPN is our top pick for unblocking Netflix abroad. Works with many popular streaming services including Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. Fast and reliable servers, 24/7 support, and user-friendly apps. Secure service with encryption. Try it risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is well placed to fix the Netflix “you seem to be using an unblocker or proxy” error. It has a vast network of more than 5,800 servers, located in 60 countries. Additionally, this service unblocks some of the most popular sites and services including Netflix and BBC iPlayer. NordVPN even offers servers which are optimized for P2P sharing or increased privacy (via Double VPN or Onion over VPN).
With NordVPN, you can protect all of your most commonly used devices as up to six simultaneous connections are permitted. Further, there’s a wide range of apps and browser extensions which make getting connected quick and easy. This VPN is based in Panama and operates a strict no-logs policy. You’re also protected through NordVPN’s use of 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and kill switch. If you have any questions about these features, you can contact support over live chat 24/7.
NordVPN apps are offered for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Android TV. Browser extensions are available for Chrome and Firefox. Routers require manual configuration.
- Huge network of over 5,800 servers for unblocking Netflix
- Unblocks Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and more
- Connect up to six devices simultaneously
- Provides 24/7 customer support via live chat and email
- Includes a strict no-logs policy to protect your online privacy
- Some servers are on the slow side
BEST FOR THE MONEY:NordVPN offers excellent value with its 5,800 servers. Bypass the Netflix unblocker or proxy error. Also unblocks Amazon Prime Video and BBC iPlayer. Up to six simultaneous connections. 24/7 support, intuitive apps, and a strict no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost offers thousands of high-speed servers spread across 90 countries including the US. This means it’s easy to stream Netflix from abroad without any noticeable buffering or lag. Aside from fixing the Netflix unblocker or proxy error, it works well with services like the BBC iPlayer. Another advantage of this Romania-based VPN is that it lets you connect up to seven devices simultaneously (more than most VPNs allow).
A CyberGhost account includes access to 24/7 support via live chat and email. Better still, this VPN comes with a lengthy 45-day money-back guarantee (most VPNs offer 30 days at most). Connect to a CyberGhost server and you’ll be protected from DNS and IPv6 leaks. It also safeguards your privacy with a strict no-logs policy, 256-bit encryption, automatic ad-blocking and malware-scanning, as well as a kill switch.
Bypass the Netflix proxy error via CyberGhost’s apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, and Android TV. You can also use Chrome and Firefox browser extensions. Manual installation is required for use with Linux and routers.
- Fixes the Netflix proxy error and lets you watch Netflix US
- Allows up to seven simultaneous connections
- Provides live chat and email support, 24/7
- Offers a 45-day money-back guarantee so you can try risk-free
- Strong security with encryption and a strict no-logs policy
- Unable to unblock some popular streaming services
- Lack of configuration options will frustrate power users
45-DAY MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE:CyberGhost has very fast speeds for streaming Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and more. Use on up to seven devices simultaneously. Thousands of servers in 90 countries and 24/7 live chat support. Strict no-logs policy. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is a Swedish VPN service that places an emphasis on quality over quantity. While it has a relatively small network of servers, those they have are fast and reliable, making them ideal for streaming and torrenting. You can use this VPN to fix the Netflix unblocker or proxy error and watch the likes of Netflix US and Netflix Japan. Furthermore, it unblocks Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and HBO Go. Overall, PrivateVPN has servers in 60 countries around the world.
You can use PrivateVPN to secure up to six of your desktop and mobile devices simultaneously. This VPN offers excellent customer service and its live chat feature allows you to speak to the developers directly. When you use PrivateVPN, your data is secured with 256-bit AES encryption. There’s also DNS and IPv6 leak protection, a kill switch and a no-logs policy. What’s more, you can even pay semi-anonymously with Bitcoin.
PrivateVPN offers apps for desktop (Windows and Mac) as well as mobile (Android and iOS). However, you’ll need to follow manual setup instructions for using PrivateVPN with Linux and routers.
- Very fast servers for streaming Netflix
- Watch Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and more
- Beginner-friendly apps for desktop and mobile platforms
- Use on up to six devices simultaneously
- Protects your privacy with encryption and no-logs policy
- Only offers around 100 servers
- Limited selection of apps and no browser extensions
HIGH SPEED SERVERS:PrivateVPN is a very fast VPN for streaming and torrenting. Use it to watch Netflix abroad. Also unblocks HBO Go and Hulu. Lets you connect up to six devices. Live chat support, beginner-friendly apps, and strong security with encryption. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark works well with Netflix and is able to bypass its anti-VPN measures. It’s a relatively new VPN that has quickly grown to become a strong choice for anyone who streams regularly. Surfshark has around 800 servers across 50 countries, including the US, Russia, and Turkey. What’s more, Surfshark can be used to unblock BBC iPlayer and Hulu and is torrenting-friendly. This option is perfect for families because it lets you connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously.
Another area in which Surfshark excels is its ease of use. The apps and browser extensions are very well designed and shouldn’t cause any confusion, even for VPN novices. Features include an ad-blocker and a whitelister for choosing which apps can bypass the VPN. Surfshark is highly secure and had its browser extensions independently audited to back this up. Your personal data is protected with 256-bit AES encryption and a kill switch. There’s also a strict no-logs policy and DNS and IPv6 leak protection.
Signing up to Surfshark allows you access to their apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. You can also download Chrome and Firefox browser extensions. Linux and routers require manual setup.
- Bypass the Netflix proxy error and also unblock BBC iPlayer and Hulu
- Connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously
- Very user-friendly with apps that make it easy to connect to servers
- Secure service with encryption, kill switch, and a no-logs policy
- Not the largest of server networks (around 800 servers)
- Some servers can be a bit slow
CONNECT ALL OF YOUR DEVICES:Surfshark lets you connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously – perfect for families! Works with Netflix, Hulu, and more. Very easy-to-use apps and browser extensions. No-logs VPN with 24/7 support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
HideMyAss has a network of approximately 1,000 servers. What’s particularly impressive is that it offers IP addresses for almost every country in the world. For this reason, you’ll be able to use HideMyAss to unblock several Netflix libraries, including Netflix USA and Netflix UK. You can also use it to watch BBC iPlayer or Hulu, among other popular streaming services. HideMyAss offers 24/7 live chat support, helping you quickly resolve any issues you might encounter.
This VPN allows P2P file-sharing and lets you connect up to five devices simultaneously via a single account. The HideMyAss apps are user-friendly and even let you automatically connect to the best available server. HideMyAss offers plenty of security features to protect your online privacy and anonymity. This includes 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch. You can even choose to shuffle your IP address, making it harder to track your location.
HideMyAss apps are available to download for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. This VPN can also be configured manually with Linux and select routers.
- IP addresses in most countries for unblocking various Netflix libraries
- Works with other popular streaming services such as Hulu
- 24/7 live chat and email support
- Uses high level of encryption to keep your data safe
- Logs IP addresses of users
- Quite expensive compared to most VPNs on this list
BROWSE FROM ANYWHERE:HideMyAss has IP addresses for most countries. Use it to unblock Netflix US, Netflix Japan, and more. Offers 24/7 live chat support and is torrenting-friendly. Secures your data with encryption but keep logs of IP addresses. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full HideMyAss review.
Why does Netflix ban VPN IP addresses?
In 2016, Netflix implemented a VPN detection system to know when you access the service when using a VPN. This was mainly due to licensing rights; contracts may dictate that a particular TV series or movie can be shown in one country (for example the US) but not in another. As many people were accessing Netflix via VPNs, the company was under pressure from major studios to prevent their use.
When Netflix detects an IP address belongs to a VPN, the IP address is blacklisted. This leads to the appearance of the Netflix “you seem to be using an unblocker or proxy” streaming error. The likes of ExpressVPN have the most success unblocking Netflix because they have so many IP addresses that Netflix simply can’t keep up.
Can I use a free VPN to fix the Netflix proxy error?
No, the vast majority of free VPNs can’t unblock Netflix. That’s because Netflix has implemented anti-VPN measures in recent years. The problem for free VPNs it that they have a limited number of IP addresses and far too many users on each server. These IP addresses are quickly flagged by Netflix, essentially rendering the server useless for using the platform. Furthermore, the servers of free VPNs are often very slow, which isn’t ideal for streaming anyway.
Aside from Netflix, free VPNs struggle to unblock many other websites and services including Amazon Prime Video and DAZN. Free VPNs also lack vital security features. In particular, they may not secure your data with encryption or use a kill switch to prevent data leaks. As with most free services, free VPNs often use an ad-supported model to make money, although some providers have been known to log your browsing activity and sell it to third parties.
What can I watch on Netflix?
Netflix has a vast amount of content, much of which is its own original programming. You can search Netflix titles by region with our Netflix region lookup tool. However, here’s a list of some of the most popular original content you can watch on Netflix:
- Orange Is the New Black
- Stranger Things
- The Umbrella Academy
- Our Planet
- Bird Box
- Triple Frontier
- Money Heist
- I Am Mother
- The Great Hack
- Last Chance U
- 1 How to fix Netflix unblocker or proxy error.
- 2 Which VPNs still work with Netflix in 2019?
- 3 Best VPNs to fix Netflix “you seem to be using an unblocker or proxy” error
- 4 1. ExpressVPN
- 5 2. NordVPN
- 6 3. CyberGhost
- 7 4. PrivateVPN
- 8 5. Surfshark
- 9 6. HideMyAss
- 10 Why does Netflix ban VPN IP addresses?
- 11 Can I use a free VPN to fix the Netflix proxy error?
- 12 What can I watch on Netflix?