It’s been more than four years since Studio Ghibli’s last feature film, The Red Turtle. The wait is finally over, though, with Goro Miyazaki’s Earwig and the Witch releasing in US theaters on February 3. Don’t fancy going to see it in person? No problem: the movie will be made available for streaming just two days later, on February 5. Read on to find out how you can watch Earwig and the Witch online, from anywhere in the world.
Given how popular Studio Ghibli movies are and this title’s slow international release, unlicensed streams are sure to be everywhere. However, we strongly advise against using them. Not only are these at risk of being taken down for copyright violation, they also tend to provide an inferior experience, with long loading times and underwhelming video quality. Additionally, by using official sources, you’re helping support the teams who worked through a pandemic to release this movie on time.
Earwig and the Witch is only available on geo-restricted streaming services. As such, you’ll likely need a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to watch it on your home services while traveling abroad.
How to stream Earwig and the Witch online using a VPN
New to VPNs? Not sure how to get started? Relax: these services are really quite simple to use. Just follow the steps below to unblock and stream Earwig and the Witch abroad.
Here’s how to watch Earwig and the Witch (Studio Ghibli) from anywhere:
- Start by signing up for a reliable, reputable VPN. We recommend NordVPN, although Surfshark and ExpressVPN are two excellent alternatives.
- Next, download the VPN app onto any device you plan to use for streaming. Remember: most major VPNs allow you to connect five or so devices at the same time.
- Connect to one of your VPN’s American servers. This will change your real IP address to a US IP address and trick region-locked services into thinking you’re really in the US.
- Visit HBO Max and log in (or sign up if you haven’t already). Videos should play without any issues but if not, clear your cookies and try again. If you’re still having trouble, we recommend contacting your VPN’s support team directly (many offer 24/7 live chat).
How to watch Earwig and the Witch online in the US
Earwig and the Witch is exclusive to HBO Max in the US. This service costs $14.99 USD per month, or $69.99 if you pay for six months upfront. You may also get HBO Max for free with your cable TV subscription, and if so, you can watch online at no added cost.
Unfortunately, while HBO Max used to offer a free trial, this was quickly scrapped when it was announced that it’d be the only platform showing Wonder Woman 1984 and all of Warner Bros’ other 2021 releases. On the plus side, this platform also has more than 20 other Studio Ghibli movies including classics like Howl’s Moving Castle, My Neighbor Totoro, and Spirited Away.
HBO Max is geo-restricted and can only be accessed within the US. That said, you can quickly and easily unblock it from abroad using a VPN. Don’t have one yet? NordVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, meaning you can try it risk-free and simply cancel if it fails to impress.
Earwig and the Witch international release schedule
At the time of writing, Earwig and the Witch has only been released in Japan. It was shown on free-to-watch channel NHK back in December, but has since been removed. To make matters worse, there’s currently no way of streaming this movie on-demand.
Australian fans can go and see Earwig and the Witch in theaters when it’s released on February 4. However, it’s not clear when (or if) fans will be able to watch this title online. Currently, Netflix holds the streaming rights for the rest of the Studio Ghibli catalog, so it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch for it to arrive at some point.
What is Earwig and the Witch about?
Earwig and the Witch is based on a book by Diana Wynne Jones (who also wrote Howl’s Moving Castle, another much-loved Studio Ghibli adaptation). It follows a young orphan girl named Earwig, who is adopted by a horrible witch. Not one to be controlled so easily, Earwig sets about finding a way to get what she wants from her new guardian: magical knowledge.
Is Earwig and the Witch subbed or dubbed?
Like most major anime releases from the last few years, Earwig and the Witch is available dubbed in both English and Japanese, or with English subtitles if you’d prefer. Purists often shun English dubs as a matter of principle, but Studio Ghibli’s are some of the best around, and often feature ensemble casts. Here are a few of the confirmed cast members for the English version of Earwig and the Witch:
- Kacey Musgraves (Grammy award-winning country musician) as Earwig’s mother
- Richard E. Grant (Logan) as The Mandrake
- Pandora Colin (Chernobyl) as the Matron
- Dan Stevens (Downton Abbey) as Thomas
- JB Blanc (Apex Legends, The Amazing Spider-Man) as Mr. Jenkins
- Logan Hannan (A Plague Tale: Innocence) as Custard
- Eva Kaminsky (Pokémon, One Piece) as the cook’s assistant