LG Smart TVs use the webOS operating system which, unfortunately, doesn’t support VPN apps. However, there are still ways for you to use a VPN with your LG Smart TV. This includes installing a VPN on a compatible wifi router or using the Smart DNS feature of a VPN service. Doing so grants the ability to bypass geographic restrictions on content (including streaming services) as well as secure your data from prying eyes.
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) creates a secure tunnel between your device and the websites and services you visit. All data is encrypted while your actual IP address (and your approximate location) are hidden. Aside from the security and privacy-related benefits, a VPN lets you unblock geo-restricted content. By connecting to a VPN server in another country, you can change your IP address and spoof your location.
We’ll cover the best VPNs for LG Smart TV and WebOS and their respective pros and cons. First, here’s a short summary of each in case you don’t have time to read the full post:
- NordVPN: The best VPN for LG Smart TV. Supports plenty of routers and has a Smart DNS feature. 5,000+ servers and very fast speeds. No-logs VPN with 24/7 support.
- Surfshark: Best value VPN. Router-compatible and has a Smart DNS service. Servers in 100 countries. Works with 30+ Netflix libraries and allows unlimited connections.
- ExpressVPN: Includes router firmware and a Smart DNS feature. High-speed connections and servers in 94 countries. Strong unblocking and top quality support.
- CyberGhost: Large server network (9,000+ servers in 90+ countries). Some of the fastest speeds we’ve tested. Works with select routers and offers very strong security.
- IPVanish: Unlimited connection allowance as well as fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth. No-logs service with plenty of security features and live chat support.
- PrivateVPN: Provides support to make router setup even easier. Consistent unblocking of streaming services on LG Smart TV. Protects privacy with a strict no-logs policy.
- Private Internet Access: Servers in 80 countries worldwide. Smart DNS feature for bypassing content restrictions. No-logs VPN with unlimited connection allowance.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for LG Smart TVs with no restrictions for a month. This is ideal if you want to take the time to fully test it out with your LG Smart TV.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Not every VPN is router-compatible and some are easier to set up than others in this respect. We’ve only included those VPNs that met the following criteria:
- Servers in dozens of countries worldwide
- Fast, unthrottled connections for streaming
- Secure with 256-bit AES encryption
- No logs by which you can be identified
- Live chat and email support 24 hours a day
Best VPNs for LG Smart TV
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for LG Smart TV:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN supports a wide range of routers. By configuring a router to connect to NordVPN servers, you’ll be able to protect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously. There’s plenty of guidance to help you get set up. Alternatively, NordVPN offers a Smart DNS feature that you can use to unblock content on your WebOS LG Smart TV. NordVPN has well over 5,000 servers in 60 countries. It’s also one of the fastest VPNs available on the market today.
You can maintain online anonymity when you use NordVPN. This is in part thanks to the VPN’s strict no-logs policy, which has been independently audited by Deloitte. Data is 256-bit AES encrypted. Further security features include DNS and IPv6 leak protection and a kill switch. Unlike many other VPNs, NordVPN has a variety of specialty servers for you to choose from including Double VPN (for two layers of encryption) and P2P.
There’s the option to manually configure a connection with a compatible router or download a NordVPN app for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Android TV, or Amazon Fire TV. Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browser extensions are also available.
- Compatible with routers and offers a Smart DNS feature
- Very fast server speeds and no bandwidth throttling
- Provides more than 5,000 servers in 60 countries
- No-logs policy independently audited by Deloitte
- Choose from specialty servers including P2P and Double VPN
- 24-hour support available via live chat and email
- Quite expensive monthly plans
BEST VPN FOR LG SMART TV:NordVPN is router-compatible and even offers a Smart DNS feature. Consistent unblocking of streaming services and has fast speeds for little to no lag or buffering. No-logs VPN with specialty servers available. With the 30-day money-back guarantee, you can try NordVPN risk-free.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark gives you the choice of manually installing its VPN on a compatible router or using its very own Smart DNS service. Regardless of whether you use a VPN router or Surfshark’s apps, you’ll be able to connect as many devices as you like at the same time. This VPN has a generous server network that stands at over 3,000 servers in 100 countries. It’s one of the best VPNs for Netflix and can securely access over 30 international libraries.
Connections are consistent due to Surfshark’s unlimited bandwidth. This makes it suitable for streaming LG Smart TV content in 1080p HD and even 4K. Streaming (and browsing) is secured with 256-bit AES encryption. You’re also protected from DNS and IPv6 leaks while connected to a Surfshark server. In addition to a kill switch, Surfshark offers MultiHop servers for an extra layer of security. It adheres to a no-logs policy.
Surfshark works with select routers and has apps for desktop (Windows, Mac, and Linux) and mobile (Android and iOS). You’ll also find apps for Amazon Fire TV and Android TV while browser extensions are offered for Chrome, Firefox, and Edge.
- Servers available in as many as 100 countries
- Very good speeds for streaming lag-free on LG Smart TV
- Connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously
- Works well with Netflix — access over 30 libraries
- MultiHop servers provide an extra layer of security if required
- Sometimes slow to switch servers
BEST VALUE VPN:Surfshark offers you two ways of unblocking geo-restricted content on your LG Smart TV. High-speed connections and servers in 100 countries. Unlimited simultaneous connections. MultiHop servers and 24/7 support. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN makes its own custom router firmware that’s far easier than the open-source alternatives. Not only is this pre-configured with ExpressVPN’s servers, it lets you choose which home network-connected devices use the VPN. It features an interactive setup guide, making it even easier to get set up. The alternative is ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer, a Smart DNS feature that also lets you bypass geo-blocking. You have the choice of more than 3,000 servers which cover 94 countries.
This is a VPN that won’t throttle your bandwidth. Furthermore, it works well with Netflix, Hulu, and other popular streaming platforms. Security features include 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak protection. A no-logs service, ExpressVPN offers excellent customer support. This is available 24/7 via live chat and email. With your account, you can secure five devices at once (or as many as you like with a VPN router).
Aside from being router-compatible, ExpressVPN has apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. There’s even a browser extension for Chrome.
- Router-friendly with custom firmware and setup guide
- Smart DNS feature for quick and easy setup with LG TV
- Generous network of 3,000+ servers available in 94 countries
- Quality customer support 24 hours a day (live chat and email)
- Doesn’t keep any identifying logs of its users
- More expensive than many rival VPNs
ROUTER-FRIENDLY:ExpressVPN works with WebOS via its custom router firmware or MediaStreamer Smart DNS. Unlimited bandwidth for lag-free streaming. Servers in 94 countries. Secure with encryption and offers 24-hour support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost can be manually configured to work with VPN-compatible routers. You can even purchase a router that has the VPN installed on it — this may be preferable if you don’t feel particularly tech-savvy. Once you’re set up (CyberGhost provides plenty of guidance for this), you’ll have access to a vast server network. CyberGhost has more than 9,000 servers in over 90 countries. You’ll be able to unblock a wide range of content on LG Smart TV.
CyberGhost is one of the fastest VPNs we’ve tested. You can secure seven devices at once with a single account. However, there’s no limit with a VPN router because it secures your entire network. This VPN operates a strict no-logs policy and boasts strong security in the form of 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and an automatic kill switch. 24/7 live chat and email support is included as part of a subscription.
You can use CyberGhost with a router, providing you set this up manually. It makes apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Browser extensions are available to download for Chrome as well as Firefox.
- Option of purchasing a router with CyberGhost pre-configured
- Huge server network of 9,000+ servers in 90+ countries
- Some of the fastest speeds we’ve tested — perfect for streaming
- Can be used on up to seven devices at the same time
- Very strong security which includes military-grade encryption
- One of many VPNs that doesn’t work in China
- Doesn’t offer an app for routers
LAG-FREE STREAMING:CyberGhost stands out for its fast speeds and large server network (9,000+ servers). Works with Netflix US among other streaming platforms. Operates a no-logs policy and uses military-grade encryption to secure data. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is a high-speed VPN that supports multiple router firmwares including DD-WRT and Tomato (manual configuration is required). There’s also the option of purchasing a pre-configured router. The good speeds and unlimited bandwidth of IPVanish allow for solid streaming on LG Smart TV. It’s one of the few VPNs that works with Netflix. Furthermore, you can connect to servers in dozens of countries including the US, Canada, UK, and Australia.
Unlike some VPNs, IPVanish has a no-logs policy and, as a result, data such as your IP address and search history is not stored or available to share. You’re protected from hackers and snoopers through security features such as 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection. If you need any assistance even during setup, then IPVanish provides 24/7 support via live chat and email. There’s no limit to the number of devices you can connect at once.
You can use IPVanish with select wireless routers. You’ll also find IPVanish apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. Manual setup is required in order to use IPVanish with Linux.
- LG TV-compatible (supports several router firmwares)
- Secure an unlimited number of devices at once
- Able to access Netflix US from abroad
- Live chat and email support around the clock
- Operates out of the US which is a Five Eyes member
- No browser extensions available
UNLIMITED CONNECTIONS:IPVanish is more than fast enough for streaming content lag-free on a LG Smart TV with WebOS. It supports unlimited simultaneous connections and protects privacy with its no-logs policy. Live chat and email support is available 24/7. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN makes it easy for you to install on your router for use with all of your devices, LG Smart TV included. While manual configuration is required, PrivateVPN offers live chat and email support as well as remote help and installation should you need it. Notably, this VPN doesn’t outsource its support, which is certainly unique compared to most VPNs services. You can expect good, consistent speeds as well as very strong unblocking of geo-restricted content.
When you connect to a PrivateVPN server, you benefit from its various security features such as 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection. It offers a true no-logs policy in that it doesn’t even keep connection logs. Furthermore, PrivateVPN accepts payment in Bitcoin. Overall, this is a highly secure service that respects your privacy.
It’s possible to use PrivateVPN with a compatible router or install its apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV.
- Free remote help and installation for easy setup with LG Smart TV
- Very strong unblocking of popular streaming services
- More than fast enough for lag and buffer-free streaming
- Anonymous payment possible in Bitcoin
- Much smaller network of servers
- Live chat support isn’t available 24/7
PRIVACY PROTECTION:PrivateVPN is fast and unblocks many streaming services including BBC iPlayer and Prime Video. Its excellent support is available via live chat and email. Strong security with AES encryption and a strict no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Private Internet Access supports routers and provides OpenVPN configuration files so you can get set up. It works with several router firmwares including DD-WRT. PIA also boasts a Smart DNS feature that unblocks streaming services on your WebOS LG Smart TV. With PIA, you’ll have access to servers in more than 80 countries. Your connection should be consistent because PIA never throttles bandwidth.
This VPN is ideal if you have a lot of devices you wish to secure or if you’d like to share your account with family. It allows unlimited simultaneous connections per account. As part of your subscription, you’ll have 24-hour access to live chat and email support. There’s strong security too with 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch safeguarding you and your data. Notably, the no-logs policy is comprehensive; it doesn’t even keep connection logs.
PIA makes apps for the following operating systems: Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. Browser extensions are available for Chrome, Firefox, and Opera.
- Smart DNS feature for accessing streaming services on LG TV
- Provides servers in 80 countries
- No limit to the number of devices you can connect at once
- Comprehensive no-logs policy — no connection logs
- Apps can feel a little bit cluttered
- Doesn’t work reliably in China
SMART DNS:Private Internet Access can be used with select routers and also has a Smart DNS feature. Unlimited bandwidth for lag-free streaming on your LG Smart TV. Unlimited devices per account and a comprehensive no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Private Internet Access review.
How to set up a Smart DNS with an LG Smart TV (WebOS)
If manually configuring a VPN with a wifi router sounds a little too technical, know that some VPNs (such as NordVPN and Surfshark) offer Smart DNS features. As you’ll see below, this is relatively quick and easy to set up in comparison.
Here’s how to set up a Smart DNS with WebOS:
- Sign up with a VPN that offers a Smart DNS feature.
- Find the Smart DNS option and activate it within your VPN’s settings.
- Turn on your LG Smart TV and select Settings on your remote.
- Navigate through Network > Network Connection.
- Choose which connection you’re using (Wi-Fi or Wired).
- Go to Advanced Wi-Fi Settings and select Edit.
- Uncheck Set Automatically and enter the DNS IP address from your VPN service.
The Smart DNS should now be set up with the WebOS of your LG Smart TV. Please keep in mind that the above steps may vary based on which LG Smart TV model you’re using.
Finding the best VPNs for LG Smart TV: our methodology
By testing VPNs hands-on in a variety of areas including speed and unblocking, we’re better able to determine their quality and overall suitability with LG Smart TV. Below, we take you through some of the key criteria we looked for and tested:
- Router-compatible: First and foremost, all of the VPNs included in this post work with select routers. Manual configuration is required but all offer support as well as setup guides should you need assistance. Some even offer a Smart DNS feature, providing another way for you to unblock content on your LG Smart TV with WebOS.
- Servers worldwide: Any quality VPN will offer servers in countries around the world. There are multiple benefits to this. In particular, it allows you to access a wider range of geo-restricted content. However, it also means that there’s always a server close to your physical location for a faster, more consistent connection.
- Speed: It’s little good if a VPN works with LG Smart TV but throttles your bandwidth. This would only lead to a slow browsing experience as well as lag and buffering while streaming. Our speed tests have helped us identify the fastest VPNs available. All of them offer unlimited bandwidth making them ideal for use with LG Smart TV.
- Unblocking: While some VPNs ticked other boxes (such as being compatible with LG Smart TV or offering sufficient speed for streaming), they failed when it came to unblocking content. We test each VPN against a variety of region-locked websites and services including streaming platforms such as Disney+ and Hulu.
- Security: Believe it or not, some VPNs can actually compromise your online security. This is despite the fact that they’re supposed to help secure your connection. At a minimum, the VPNs we recommend offer encryption, protection from DNS leaks and other security features such as a kill switch. Some even offer Double VPN servers.
- Privacy: Unfortunately, some VPNs also fail to protect your privacy. Free VPNs are often guilty of this due to the fact that many keep logs which are sold to third parties. If you’d prefer to browse and stream anonymously, you need a no-logs VPN. Having studied over 140 VPN logging policies, we’ve only chosen those VPNs that respect your privacy.
- Ease of use: It’s fair to say that manually setting up a VPN connection on your router isn’t as easy as downloading a VPN’s desktop or mobile app. However, the best VPNs for LG Smart TV all offer support (most of them 24/7) via live chat and email. Step-by-step setup guides are also at hand to guide you through the process.
- Value for money: Last but not least, we’re looking for VPNs that offer value for money. Ideally, they’ll offer both short-term (one month) and more long-term (one year or even multiple years) subscription plans. All of the VPNs listed also include money-back guarantees of at least 30 days. That way you can try them out risk-free.
The above is just part of our VPN testing methodology, which helps us analyze VPNs in order to make the best possible recommendations.
Best VPNs for LG Smart TV: FAQs
Can I use a free VPN with LG Smart TV?
Not many free VPNs are compatible with wifi routers, making it difficult for you to use one with an LG Smart TV running WebOS. Regardless, there are a number of other reasons to avoid using a free VPN. For starters, the average free VPN offers speeds that are far too slow for streaming anyway. Bandwidth throttling is common and this can cause excessive buffering and lag. Furthermore, free VPNs offer fewer servers in fewer locations, reducing the content you can unblock.
A number of security concerns come with free VPNs. Some may fail to properly encrypt your data. Others may lack key security features such as a kill switch. This could lead to your data being leaked. Free VPNs sometimes make money by keeping logs of your browsing data. This is then sold to the highest bidder, compromising your privacy and online anonymity. Needless to say, free VPNs are far from ideal.
Will a VPN slow my connection on my LG Smart TV?
Yes, using a VPN will slow your connection to an extent. Data is encrypted and re-routed to the VPN server which can then result in slower speeds. With some VPNs, this difference will be noticeable, particularly if it’s a service that throttles your bandwidth. Fortunately, the best VPNs for LG Smart TV offer fast and consistent connections as well as unlimited bandwidth. As such, you should be able to continue browsing and streaming without a clear performance dip.
Can I use a Smart DNS instead of a VPN router?
Some of the VPNs we’ve covered in this post offer a Smart DNS feature. If you’re only looking to unblock geo-restricted content on your LG Smart TV, this is an option that you may wish to consider. It’s quicker and easier to get set up than with a router which you’ll have to manually configure yourself (unless you purchase a router that’s pre-configured with a VPN). Unfortunately, a Smart DNS service won’t encrypt your data or hide your IP address.
Are there any other ways to use a VPN with LG Smart TV?
Not only can you set up a VPN via your router or a VPN’s Smart DNS service, you can even share a VPN connection from another device. This can be achieved with an Ethernet cable or wirelessly. Some VPNs provide instructions for setting this up. We also have a guide on how to set up a VPN for Smart TV with step-by-step instructions.