The Amazon Fire tablet, formerly known as the Kindle Fire, can not only be used for reading but also for browsing and streaming. Unfortunately, a combination of region-locked content and, in some cases, ISP throttling limits what you can do. The good news is that you can bypass such restrictions with a Fire tablet VPN, allowing you to get more out of your device. Below, we’ll let you know what exactly a VPN is, and which are the best VPNs for Amazon Fire tablet.
Short for Virtual Private Network, a VPN is a service that lets you browse the web anonymously. It does this by encrypting your internet traffic and routing it through the VPN’s own servers. What’s more, as you can choose the location you connect to, it’s possible to spoof your location and access region-locked platforms like Amazon Prime Video even if you don’t live in the required country.
While we’ll cover each of the best VPNs for Amazon Fire tablet in more detail later, here’s a quick summary just in case you’re short of time.
Best VPNs for Amazon Fire tablet:
- NordVPN: The best VPN for Amazon Fire tablet. Huge network of superfast servers and works with the likes of Netflix and Disney+. Servers optimized for P2P and streaming. Many security features to protect your privacy. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Best budget VPN. Excellent apps and browser extensions. Unlimited simultaneous connections. No-logs VPN with plenty of security features including encryption.
- ExpressVPN: User-friendly app for Fire tablet. Fast, reliable servers and strong unblocking abilities. Very strong security.
- CyberGhost: Over 5,000 servers in 90 countries. High-speed servers and easy-to-use apps for Fire devices. Includes a strict no-logs policy.
- IPVanish: Very easy to use on Amazon Fire tablet. Allows up to 10 simultaneous connections. Servers in dozens of countries and a zero-logs policy for your security.
- PrivateVPN: Very fast VPN for streaming. Strong unblocking ability and user-friendly apps. Very strong security thanks to no-logs policy and use of encryption
- VyprVPN: Compatible with Fire tablet. Works with streaming services including Netflix US and Amazon Prime Video. Independently audited to prove it doesn’t keep logs.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Amazon Fire devices with absolutely no restrictions for a month—great if you want to try it for yourself before deciding to commit.
There are no hidden terms—just tell customer support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't a good fit and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
When coming up with our list of the best VPNs for your Amazon Fire tablet, we looked for VPNs based on the following criteria:
- App compatible with Amazon Fire tablet
- Fast servers for browsing and streaming
- Network of servers across dozens of countries
- Protects your privacy with encryption and a no-logs policy
- Includes money-back guarantee so you can try risk-free
- Offers 24/7 live chat and email support
The best VPNs for Amazon Fire tablet – At a glance
We’ve compared the most important features for the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for Amazon Fire Tablet.
|Website||www.NordVPN.com||www.Surfshark.com||www.ExpressVPN.com||www.Cyberghost.com||www.IPVanish.com||www.PrivateVPN.com||Ranking for Amazon Fire Tablet||1||2||3||4||5||6||Streaming reliability||Excellent||Excellent||Excellent||Good||Good||Good||Avg Speed (Mbps)||100+ Mbps||323.6 Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||71 Mbps||Popular Sites Unblocked||95%||88%||86%||85%||70%||85%||Simultaneous Connections||6||Unlimited||5||7||Unlimited||10||Total number of servers||5,100||3,200||3,000||6,000+||1,900||200+|
|Best deal (per month)||$2.99|
SAVE up to 68% + GET 3 months FREE
Get 2 Months FREE with a 2-year plan
SAVE: 49% on the annual plan
SAVE 84% on the 2 year plan + 4 months FREE
SAVE 77% on the 2 year plan
SAVE 85% on the three year plan
Best VPNs for Amazon Fire tablet
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for the Fire tablet:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top choice for an Amazon Fire tablet VPN. It makes it easy to unblock geo-blocked content wherever you are, thanks to its network of over 5,500 servers in 59 countries. You can connect to these servers via a wide range of apps, including NordVPN’s Android app which is compatible with Fire tablet. The blazing fast speeds allow for consistent streaming of Netflix, Disney+, and more. Indeed, this is also a P2P-friendly service, providing P2P servers that are optimized for file sharing.
From downloading and installing to using NordVPN’s apps, you’re unlikely to encounter many problems. The user-friendly design and 24/7 live chat support make this a good choice for novices. When it comes to protecting your privacy, NordVPN doesn’t compromise. Aside from 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch, there’s a strict no-logs policy. You can even connect to Double VPN servers for twice the level of encryption.
- Extremely fast speeds
- Compatible with Amazon Fire tablet
- 5,500 servers for unblocking content worldwide
- Stream Netflix, Disney+, and more
- Live chat support available 24/7
- Security includes strict no-logs policy and Double VPN servers
- Desktop app can take some getting used to
BEST VPN FOR AMAZON FIRE TABLET:NordVPN is our #1 pick It’s exceptionally fast and operates over 5,200 servers. It unblocks lots of popular streaming services including Netflix, and offers highly accessible apps and 24/7 live chat support. Security features include Double VPN servers. A 30-day money-back guarantee makes it risk-free.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a great budget option. Unlike most other VPNs, it lets you connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously. You’ll be able to use Surfshark to unblock content worldwide thanks to the servers in 61 countries. In particular, it works well with Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu. Servers are very reliable with little to no downtime. You can even find P2P servers for high-speed torrenting and MultiHop servers which give you an extra layer of security.
This VPN is packed with features, making it an attractive option for Amazon Fire tablets. The apps and browser extensions are user-friendly and highly responsive. Surfshark also offers live chat and email support, available 24/7. This is a highly secure service that has been independently audited to prove it doesn’t keep any logs. There’s also 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and protection from DNS leaks. A good selection of payment methods is available, including the option to pay in cryptocurrency.
A Surfshark account gives you access to apps for the following: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV/Fire Stick. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available. Manual installation is required for use with routers.
- Can be used with a variety of devices including Fire tablet
- Lets you connect an unlimited number of devices at once
- Beginner-friendly with easy-to-use apps
- Keeps your data private with its strict no-logs policy
- Offers 24/7 live chat support
- Doesn’t have the biggest server network
BEST BUDGET OPTION:Surfshark is good for those on a budget Allows unlimited simultaneous connections. Variety of easy-to-use apps and browser extensions. Highly secure service with a no-logs policy and Double VPN servers. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is fast and reliable and has a dedicated app for Amazon Fire. This service has over 3,000 servers in an impressive 94 countries, so it’s a great choice for unblocking region-locked websites and services worldwide. In particular, ExpressVPN works with streaming services including Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon Prime Video. The fast, consistent connections mean you can stream without having to worry about buffering or lag.
If you’re new to VPNs, you’ll appreciate how quick and easy it is to connect to a server. What’s more, there’s live chat support which you can contact 24/7 in case of any problems. ExpressVPN keeps you safe online in a number of ways. For instance, there is 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and protection from DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks. You also have the option to pay with Bitcoin for added anonymity. ExpressVPN is headquartered in the British Virgin Islands which has no data retention requirements and as such, it logs no personally identifiable information.
Aside from the app for Amazon Fire devices, ExpressVPN offers apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS. You can also download Chrome and Firefox browser extensions as well as firmware for routers.
- Easy-to-use app for Amazon Fire tablet
- Fast, consistent speeds for streaming
- More than 3,000 servers in 94 countries
- Stream Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon Prime Video
- Very secure thanks to its use of encryption
- Priced higher than rival VPNs
USER-FRIENDLY:ExpressVPN is a great all-rounder with Amazon Fire tablet. Boasts fast and reliable servers and is excellent at unblocking. Uses encryption and offers 24/7 live chat support. Plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has dedicated apps available for Amazon Fire tablets, Amazon Fire TV and Fire Stick. This VPN has grown to become one of the largest providers on the market with well over 5,000 servers in 90 countries. Aside from quantity, CyberGhost offers excellent quality with fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth. Streaming is seamless without the frustrations of lag and buffering. Furthermore, this VPN works with both Netflix US and BBC iPlayer.
It’s worth knowing that a single CyberGhost subscription allows you to connect up to seven devices simultaneously. Another reason to consider this VPN is that it’s highly secure. It offers a strict no-logs policy, 256-bit AES encryption, and DNS and IPv6 leak protection. There’s also an automatic kill switch which ensures your data isn’t compromised should the VPN connection drop. 24/7 support is available over live chat, just in case.
You can use CyberGhost on Amazon Fire TV/Fire Stick, Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. There’s also an app for Android TV and browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. Manual setup is required for Linux and routers.
- Dedicated apps for Amazon Fire devices
- A huge network of over 5,000 servers
- Very fast for uninterrupted streaming
- Works with Netflix US and BBC iPlayer
- Secures your data with encryption and a strict no-logs policy
- Doesn’t work reliably in China
GOOD FOR BEGINNERS:CyberGhost offers excellent value for money and works well with Amazon Fire devices. Very fast for streaming and highly secure with a strict no-logs policy. It allows up to seven simultaneous connections and offers 24/7 support. Includes a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is very easy to install on any Amazon Fire device, be it your Amazon Fire tablet or Fire TV. One of the faster VPNs available, you can use it for everyday browsing or (thanks to its decent unblocking ability) streaming your favorite TV shows. One standout feature of IPVanish is that it allows up to 10 simultaneous connections — more than most VPNs on the market. For this reason, it’s well worth considering if you’re planning on sharing your VPN with family.
When you use this VPN, you can rest safe in the knowledge that your data is secure. After all, IPVanish uses 256-bit AES encryption. Further security features include DNS leak protection, traffic scrambling, and a kill switch feature. Just as important, IPVanish states that it offers a strict no-logs policy, providing you with near-complete online anonymity. Need help? This VPN offers 24/7 live chat-based support.
Sign up for IPVanish and you can download the app for Amazon Fire devices. Apps are also available for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. You can manually configure IPVanish for use with routers and Linux systems.
- Easy to install on Amazon Fire tablet
- Lets you connect up to 10 devices simultaneously
- Good speeds for everyday browsing and streaming
- Protects your privacy with its no-logs policy
- 24/7 live chat support available
- Headquartered in US – a Five Eyes alliance member
- Doesn’t offer the option to pay in Bitcoin
GOOD SERVER SPEEDS:IPVanish is a fast and reliable VPN for Amazon Fire tablet. Lets you connect up to 10 devices simultaneously. A network of servers across 60 countries. Includes all of the essential security features for your online security. 7-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is a high-speed VPN service with servers in 60 countries. Its fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth means it’s a great choice for streaming and torrenting. This VPN can reliably access Netflix, Disney+, and HBO, to name a few streaming services. PrivateVPN allows up to six simultaneous connections per account which means you can secure everything from your Amazon Fire tablet to Android or iOS device.
Using the PrivateVPN apps is as simple as clicking to connect to a server. However, live chat support is available should you have any questions. In fact, there’s even remote help and installation. PrivateVPN’s security offering consists of 256-bit AES encryption, protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks, and an automatic kill switch. There’s also a no-logs policy, the option to pay in Bitcoin, and a “Stealth VPN” feature for bypassing particularly strict VPN blocks.
You can use PrivateVPN via the apps for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. However, you’ll need to follow manual setup instructions for Linux and routers.
- Compatible with Amazon Fire tablet
- Very fast servers for lag and buffer-free streaming
- Works with streaming services including Netflix
- Enjoy anonymity by paying in Bitcoin
- Limited selection of apps (and no browser extensions)
- A small network of only 100 servers
EXCELLENT UNBLOCKING:PrivateVPN offers unlimited bandwidth and beginner-friendly apps. Unblocks many major streaming services including Netflix and lets you have up to six simultaneous connections. Keeps your data secure with encryption. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
VyprVPN was the first major VPN to launch in the Amazon Appstore and works well with all Fire devices. It offers good, reliable speeds and a network of approximately 700 servers across dozens of countries. You’ll find servers in eight different US cities for easy access to Netflix US, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu. VyprVPN also lets you connect up to five devices at once.
When it comes to security, VyprVPN stands out for having been independently audited to prove that it’s a no-logs VPN. This, combined with 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch, makes VyprVPN a strong choice for any privacy-focused user. If you need help, you can reach customer support over live chat, 24 hours per day.
You can use VyprVPN on your Fire devices while there are also apps for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. It’s also possible to manually configure VyprVPN for use with Linux and routers.
- The first VPN to launch in the Amazon Appstore
- Works with popular streaming services such as Netflix
- Independently audited no-logs VPN
- Customer support via live chat, 24/7
- Doesn’t accept Bitcoin
- Discourages torrenting
NO-LOGS VPN:VyprVPN is an independently audited no-logs VPN that keeps you safe online using its powerful security features. Very easy-to-use Amazon Fire tablet app. Access Netflix US, Amazon Prime Video, and more. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full VyprVPN review.
Amazon Fire Tablet VPN testing methodology
There are so many consumer-facing VPNs on the market that picking one can be a daunting task. Many use exaggeration and false advertising to attract customers, which makes it easy to end up with a service that is slow, insecure, or unable to access the content you want.
To find VPNs that are at the top of their game, our VPN experts use a precise VPN testing methodology. We test each service for IP and DNS leaks to ensure it provides watertight online privacy.
We also check the encryption implementation, the server speeds, and its ability to access popular services like Netflix and Hulu. Our numerous tests allow us to recommend VPNs for specific use-purposes. Below, we have included a list of important features we considered when recommending VPNs for a Fire Tablet:
- Apps for all platforms: We looked for VPNs that are versatile and have custom apps available not only on the Amazon store but also for Windows, macOS, iOS and Android. This allows you to make the most of the VPN by installing it on all of your devices.
- Fast speeds: We checked the VPN’s speeds to ensure you can use the VPN to stream in HD, make video calls, and play games on your Amazon Fire Tablet. We also check for P2P optimized servers that will let you download torrents as effectively as possible.
- Advanced features: A versatile modern VPN has more than the basics. We looked for VPNs that provide a kill-switch, DNS leak protection, obfuscation, split tunneling, malware filtering, SOCKS5 proxy, Smart DNS, and other useful extras that make the VPN better value for money.
- Excellent customer care: We only recommend VPNs with active customer support departments. Preferable with both email and live chat support that is available 24/7.
- Ease of use: We recommend VPNs that aren’t unnecessarily confusing, with custom apps you can install and navigate even if you are a beginner.
- Superb accessibility: Our recommendations have been tested with services like Netflix US, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and Prime Video. This makes them superb for accessing streaming services on your Fire Tablet while on vacation abroad.
How to use a VPN with Amazon Fire tablet
Not sure how to go about using a VPN with your Amazon Fire tablet? Read the instructions below to get yourself set up with a VPN in no time.
Here’s how to use a VPN for Amazon Fire Tablet:
- Sign up for a VPN that works with Amazon Fire tablet. We particularly recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the VPN’s Fire tablet app. You can find this in the Amazon Appstore.
- Connect to a server in the country from which you want to browse. For example, you can connect to a US server to get a US IP address.
- You can now browse securely and unblock region-locked content! If you’re still encountering restrictions, it’s worth clearing your browser’s cookies.
Note that some VPN apps are not available on the Amazon Appstore. In this case, you can do the following to sideload the VPN onto your Amazon Fire tablet:
- Go to Settings – Security – Apps from unknown sources. Toggle this on.
- Download the APK file from the VPN’s website. Important: do not download APK files from unofficial sources as there’s no easy way of telling if they’re safe.
- Install ES File Explorer from Amazon Appstore (it’s free).
- Open ES File Explorer and find the VPN’s APK file. Click Install.
Can I use a free VPN with an Amazon Fire tablet?
There aren’t many free VPNs that are compatible with Amazon Fire devices. Besides, free VPNs pose a number of problems that means they’re rarely worth your time. For starters, the average free VPN offers very few servers. This makes it difficult to unblock geo-restricted content from certain countries. It also means that server speeds are very slow. This becomes particularly problematic and noticeable when streaming.
While there are some free VPNs on the Amazon Appstore, many are actually just very limited versions of paid VPNs. Others may genuinely be free but come at a price — at the expense of your online privacy! One common example is free VPNs that log your data (including your browsing data), selling it to third parties. Fortunately, all of the above VPNs include a money-back guarantee which means you can test them out on your Amazon Fire tablet, risk-free.
How do I install a VPN if it is not available on the Amazon App Store?
If you want to install a VPN app onto your Amazon Fire tablet, but it is not available in the Amazon App Store, you will need to side load it. This may sound a little complicated, but the process is actually pretty straightforward.
The first thing to understand is that an Amazon Fire tablet runs on a fork of the Android operating system. This means that the apps you install are regular Android APK files. As a result, you can download an APK file from a third party app repository, and then install it.
Below, we have included the basic steps:
- Open the settings menu by pulling down on the screen from the top and clicking the cog icon.
- Choose Security and Privacy.
- Turn on Apps from Unknown sources.
- Open the Silk browser and navigate to APKMirror.
- Search for the VPN you are interested and download the APK file.
- When the download completes, click the notification and install the app.
Remember that when you are installing apps for unknown sources, you could potentially download and install malware. This is why you should stick to reputable third party APK sources like APKMirror.
How do I change the DNS on my Amazon Fire tablet?
To change the DNS on your Amazon Fire tablet, you’ll need to access the advanced Wi-Fi settings. Here’s how:
1. Go to Settings
2. Select Device Options
3. Select Advanced Wi-Fi Settings
4. Select Manage network settings
5. Select DNS 1 and enter the new DNS address
6. Select DNS 2 and enter the new DNS address again
7. Press Save
Can a VPN for an Amazon Fire tablet improve my connection speeds?
Generally speaking, a VPN service will not improve your internet connection speeds. This is because a VPN must encrypt your traffic and route it via the remote VPN server location. This introduces additional latency and causes your internet to slow a little.
The fastest VPNs have Tier 1 servers and high-speed tunneling protocols. This helps to keep the slowing of your internet to a minimum. In fact, the fastest VPNs introduce a nearly imperceptible drop in performance.
The only time when a VPN could actually speed up your connection is if your Internet Service Provider is engaging in bandwidth throttling. If this is the case, a VPN can allow you to get the most of your internet subscription by preventing your ISP from purposefully slowing you down.
If you believe your internet is being throttled when you engage in data-intensive tasks such as gaming, or streaming, it is definitely worth testing a VPN connection to see if it rectifies the problem.