Have you ever tried to catch up on your favorite Netflix series while traveling, only to be stonewalled by the dreaded error m7111-1331-5059? You’re not alone. As globe-trotters ourselves, we’ve felt the sting of disappointment seeing:
“You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again.”
It’s frustrating, especially after a long day on the road. But why the disruption? Well, Netflix tailors its library based on regional content licenses. While VPNs and proxy services once served as trusty gateways to our beloved shows, Netflix has become increasingly adept at spotting and blocking them.
But here’s the good news: After exhaustive research and rigorous testing, we’ve uncovered the best VPNs, adept at outsmarting these restrictions. So, if you’re facing this Netflix “unblocker or proxy” error, or simply want uninterrupted access to your home Netflix library from any corner of the globe, you’re in the right place. Explore further as we reveal the best VPNs to fix this Netflix error.
How to fix Netflix “unblocker or proxy” error
This common Netflix streaming error is due to Netflix detecting the use of a VPN or proxy service. The good news is that there’s a quick and easy to fix. Our step-by-step guide explains what you need to do if you are getting the message “you seem to be using an unblocker or proxy”.
Here’s how to fix the Netflix proxy error:
- Sign up with a VPN that works with Netflix – we recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the appropriate VPN app or browser extension for your device.
- Open the VPN app or browser extension and connect to a server in your home country.
- Clear your browser’s cache and cookies. This ensures Netflix forgets your actual IP address and location. It will then accept the new IP address provided by the VPN.
- Go to Netflix and select your preferred content which should now be accessible as normal! If not, try another server. Alternatively, contact your VPN’s customer support for further assistance.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Netflix with no restrictions for a month—great if you want to keep watching content from back home as you travel.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Don’t have time to read the full article? Here’s a short summary of the best VPNs to fix the Netflix “you seem to be using an unblocker or proxy” error:
Best VPNs for fixing Netflix proxy error
- NordVPN: Our top choice for fixing the Netflix proxy error. 5,000+ fast servers. Excellent security and privacy credentials. 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Budget-friendly provider with no connection limits. Works great with Netflix and similar services. Good speeds and great security.
- ExpressVPN: A well-establish VPN known for its high speeds, powerful security features, and exceptional versatility.
- CyberGhost: High-speed servers for streaming Netflix. Secure VPN with encryption and a strict no-logs policy. Connect up to seven devices. Includes 24/7 live support.
- PrivateVPN: Fix the Netflix proxy error. Also works with BBC iPlayer and Hulu. Very fast servers for buffer and lag-free streaming. User-friendly apps and a no-logs policy.
- HideMyAss: IP addresses in most countries. Securely access Netflix abroad. Desktop and mobile apps and 24/7 support. Security features include encryption.
- Private Internet Access: Works with Netflix US and UK. Fast and allows unlimited simultaneous connections. Strict no-logs policy and 24/7 support.
Which VPNs still work with Netflix?
In an effort to save you some time, we’ve researched and tested a list of the best VPNs for Netflix. VPNs were selected based on their meeting the following criteria:
- Servers that work reliably with Netflix
- Fast and consistent connections for streaming
- Secures your data with encryption and no-logs policy
- Offers live chat and email support, preferably 24/7
- Beginner-friendly apps for desktop and mobile
- Money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free
The best VPNs to fix Netflix “you seem to be using an unblocker or proxy” error – Our hands-on review
We’ve researched and compared the most important features for the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for Netflix unblocker or proxy error.
|No value||NordVPN||Surfshark||ExpressVPN||CyberGhost||PrivateVPN||Hide My Ass VPN|
|Website||NordVPN.com||Surfshark.com||ExpressVPN.com||Cyberghost.com||PrivateVPN.com||HideMyAss.com||Netflix reliability||1||2||3||4||5||6||Streaming reliability||Excellent||Excellent||Excellent||Good||Good||Good||Streaming services||Netflix|
|Netflix||Devices Supported||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Amazon Fire TV||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TVs, Routers||Windows, MacOS, Linux (command line), iOS, Android, Smart TVs Routers||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Android tv, Apple TV, Linux||Avg Speed (Mbps)||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||39 Mbps||100+ Mbps|
|Best deal (per month)||$3.19|
SAVE 61% + 3 months FREE
Get 2 Months FREE with a 2-year plan
SAVE: 49% on the annual plan
SAVE up to 84% on the 2 year plan + 3 months free
SAVE 85% on the three year plan
Get 75% off the 36 month plan
Best VPNs to fix Netflix “you seem to be using an unblocker or proxy” error
Here’s our fully tested list of the best VPNs to fix the Netflix unblocker or proxy error:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top choice and is well placed to fix the Netflix “you seem to be using an unblocker or proxy” error. It has a vast network of more than 5,000 exceptionally fast servers, located in 60 countries. Additionally, this service works with some of the most popular sites including Netflix and BBC iPlayer. NordVPN even offers servers which are optimized for P2P sharing or increased privacy (via Double VPN or Onion over VPN).
With NordVPN, you can protect all of your most commonly used devices as up to six simultaneous connections are permitted. Further, there’s a wide range of apps and browser extensions which make getting connected quick and easy. This VPN is based in Panama and operates a strict no-logs policy. You’re also protected through NordVPN’s use of 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and kill switch. If you have any questions about these features, you can contact support over live chat 24/7.
NordVPN apps are offered for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Android TV. Browser extensions are available for Chrome and Firefox. Routers require manual configuration.
- Huge network of over 5,000 servers makes it ideal for safe streaming
- Works with Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and more
- One of the fastest VPNs on the market
- Provides 24/7 customer support via live chat and email
- Includes a strict no-logs policy to protect your online privacy
- Desktop app takes multiple clicks to disconnect
BEST VPN TO FIX NETFLIX PROXY ERROR:NordVPN is our top choice for Netflix. Has over 5,200 very fast servers. Works great with many popular services. Offers 24/7 support, intuitive apps, and a strict no-logs policy. Try it risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is our top budget pick. It works well with Netflix and has quickly grown to become a strong choice for anyone who streams regularly. Surfshark has around 3,200 servers across 60+ countries. What’s more, this VPN works with BBC iPlayer and Hulu and is torrenting-friendly. It’s perfect for families because it lets you connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously.
Another area in which Surfshark excels is its ease of use. The apps and browser extensions are very well designed and shouldn’t cause any confusion, even for VPN novices. Features include an ad-blocker and a whitelister for choosing which apps can bypass the VPN. Surfshark is highly secure and had its browser extensions independently audited to back this up. Your personal data is protected with 256-bit AES encryption and a kill switch. There’s also a strict no-logs policy and DNS and IPv6 leak protection.
Signing up to Surfshark allows you access to its apps for Linux, Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. You can also download Chrome and Firefox browser extensions. Routers require manual setup.
- Makes it easy to stream Netflix
- Connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously
- Very user-friendly
- Secure service with encryption, kill switch, and a no-logs policy
- Settings menu is a little unorganized
BEST FOR THE MONEY:Surfshark lets you connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously – perfect for families! Works with Netflix, Hulu, and more. No-logs VPN with 24/7 support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has servers in 94 countries, allowing you to securely access your usual Netflix library as you travel. This VPN’s server network consists of more than 3,000 servers in countries including the US, UK, Australia, and Japan. Aside from being able to resolve the Netflix proxy error, ExpressVPN also works with Amazon Prime Video and Hulu. Further, it lets you connect up to five devices simultaneously via a single account.
ExpressVPN is also known to be very beginner-friendly. There’s 24/7 live chat and email support, plus the apps and browser extensions make it simple to connect to a server. Security is another of ExpressVPN’s strengths. It secures your data using 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS and IPv6 leak protection. This VPN is headquartered in the British Virgin Islands and doesn’t keep any identifying logs of its users.
You can use ExpressVPN via the apps for desktop (Windows, Mac, Linux), mobile (Android and iOS), and routers. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available.
- Servers in 94 countries
- Fast, consistent servers for lag and buffer-free streaming
- Uses encryption and a kill switch to keep your data secure
- Includes 24/7 via live chat and email
- Slightly more expensive than most VPNs
STREAM SECURELY:ExpressVPN is fast and security-conscious, making it ideal for watching Netflix abroad. Provides 24/7 support, user-friendly apps, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost offers thousands of high-speed servers spread across 91 countries including the US. This means it’s easy to stream Netflix from abroad without any noticeable buffering or lag. Aside from fixing the Netflix proxy error, it works well with services like the BBC iPlayer. Another advantage of this Romania-based VPN is that it lets you connect up to seven devices simultaneously (more than most VPNs allow).
A CyberGhost account includes access to 24/7 support via live chat and email. Better still, this VPN comes with a lengthy 45-day money-back guarantee (most VPNs offer 30 days at most). Connect to a CyberGhost server and you’ll be protected from DNS and IPv6 leaks. It also safeguards your privacy with a strict no-logs policy, 256-bit encryption, automatic ad-blocking and malware-scanning, as well as a kill switch.
Fix the Netflix proxy error via CyberGhost’s apps for Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, and Android TV. You can also use Chrome and Firefox browser extensions. Manual installation is required for use with routers.
- Works well with Netflix
- Allows up to seven simultaneous connections
- Provides live chat and email support, 24/7
- Strong security with encryption and a strict no-logs policy
- Lack of configuration options will frustrate power users
45-DAY MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE:CyberGhost has very fast speeds for streaming Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and more. Use on up to seven devices simultaneously. Thousands of servers in 90 countries and 24/7 live chat support. Strict no-logs policy. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is a Swedish VPN service that places an emphasis on quality over quantity. While it has a relatively small network of servers, those they have are fast and reliable, making them ideal for streaming and torrenting. You can use this VPN to fix the Netflix “unblocker or proxy” error and watch the likes of Netflix US and Netflix Japan. Further, it works with Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and HBO Max. Overall, PrivateVPN has servers in 60+ countries around the world.
You can use PrivateVPN to secure up to 10 of your desktop and mobile devices simultaneously. This VPN offers excellent customer service and its live chat feature allows you to speak to the developers directly. When you use PrivateVPN, your data is secured with 256-bit AES encryption. There’s also DNS and IPv6 leak protection, a kill switch and a no-logs policy. What’s more, you can even pay semi-anonymously with Bitcoin.
PrivateVPN offers apps for desktop (Windows and Mac) as well as mobile (Android and iOS). However, you’ll need to follow manual setup instructions for using PrivateVPN with Linux and routers.
- Very fast servers for streaming Netflix
- Watch Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and more
- Beginner-friendly apps for desktop and mobile platforms
- Protects your privacy with encryption and no-logs policy
- Only offers around 200 servers
- Limited selection of apps and no browser extensions
HIGH SPEED SERVERS:PrivateVPN is a very fast VPN for streaming and torrenting. Use it to watch Netflix abroad. Lets you connect up to 10 devices. Live chat support, beginner-friendly apps, and strong security with encryption. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
HideMyAss has a network of approximately 1,100 servers. What’s particularly impressive is that it offers IP addresses for almost every country in the world. For this reason, you’ll be able to use HideMyAss to securely access any Netflix library, including Netflix USA and Netflix UK. You can also use it to watch BBC iPlayer or Hulu, among other popular streaming services. HideMyAss offers 24/7 live chat support, helping you quickly resolve any issues you might encounter.
This VPN allows P2P file-sharing and lets you connect up to five devices simultaneously via a single account. The HideMyAss apps are user-friendly and even let you automatically connect to the best available server. HideMyAss offers plenty of security features to protect your online privacy and anonymity. This includes 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch. You can even choose to shuffle your IP address, making it harder to track your location.
HideMyAss apps are available to download for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. This VPN can also be configured manually with Linux and select routers.
- Works with several Netflix libraries
- Steady speeds
- 24/7 live chat and email support
- Uses high level of encryption to keep your data safe
- Logs IP addresses of users
- Quite expensive compared to most VPNs on this list
BROWSE FROM ANYWHERE:HideMyAss has IP addresses for most countries. Use it to securely stream Netflixas you travel. Offers 24/7 live chat support and is torrenting-friendly. Secures your data with encryption but keep logs of IP addresses. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full HideMyAss review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Private Internet Access works well with multiple Netflix libraries including those in the US and UK. What’s more, it has servers in more than 80 countries worldwide so you can access a wide range of geo-restricted websites and services. This is one of many top-rated VPNs that has implemented WireGuard. As a result of this and its unlimited bandwidth, you can expect very good speeds for streaming Netflix.
One of the main advantages of using PIA over many other VPNs is that it allows unlimited simultaneous connections per account. This makes it an excellent choice for sharing with family members. Strong security is offered in the form of 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. PIA doesn’t keep any logs — not even connection logs and provides 24-hour support via live chat and email.
Private Internet Access has apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. You’ll also find browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. Manual setup with compatible routers is also possible.
- Works with multiple Netflix libraries
- More than fast enough for 4K streaming
- Secure an unlimited number of devices simultaneously
- Doesn’t keep any logs (not even connection logs)
- Apps could be easier to navigate
- Doesn’t work well in China
STRONG ALL-ROUNDER:Private Internet Access can be used to securely access Netflix US and UK. Fast server speeds for streaming lag-free. Connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously. 24/7 support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Private Internet Access review.
Choosing the best VPNs for Netflix: our methodology explained
Netflix has poured huge amounts of resources into blocking VPN users from being able to stream their usual content while traveling. As such, most providers simply won’t be able to resolve the infamous “unblocker or proxy” error. To narrow down the few that can even further, we created a strict set of minimum requirements each must meet, and you’ll find these below:
- Suitability for Netflix: As noted above, not many VPNs still work with Netflix. We prioritize those that do, especially if they can securely access multiple libraries. We also consider how long it takes to find a server that works.
- Cloaking abilities: Netflix is constantly updating its VPN-detection methods, so the providers that work best tend to be those that can stay under the radar. Naturally, we test VPNs with competing streaming services too, to see which will suit international travelers the best.
- Performance: 4K video requires a minimum speed of 25 Mb/s. Given that every VPN will slow you down at least a little, we have to take this into account. Luckily, we regularly speed test leading VPNs to see which are currently the fastest, and which have improved the most over time.
- Security and privacy: It’s not enough to be able to watch Netflix abroad – you have to be able to stream securely. That’s why all of our top VPNs offer AES encryption, protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks, a no-logs policy, and a kill switch. Some even go further, with anti-tracking features and custom protocols.
- User-friendliness: We’re big fans of anything that makes VPNs easier to use. Some of the VPNs above have specific servers designed to help you securely access Netflix, for instance, while others let you connect as many devices as you like. Remember: they all offer live chat-based support too, so getting help is as quick and easy as possible.
Believe it or not, this is actually only the beginning of our testing. You can find out more in our full guide to how we test VPNs.
Can I use a free VPN to fix the Netflix proxy error?
No, the vast majority of free VPNs wont work with Netflix. That’s because Netflix has implemented anti-VPN measures in recent years. The problem for free providers is that they have a limited number of IP addresses and far too many users on each server. These IP addresses are quickly flagged by Netflix, essentially rendering the server useless for using the platform. Furthermore, the servers of free VPNs are often very slow, which isn’t ideal for streaming anyway.
Aside from Netflix, free VPNs struggle with many other websites and services including Amazon Prime Video. Free VPNs also lack vital security features. In particular, they may not secure your data with encryption or use a kill switch to prevent data leaks. As with most free services, free VPNs often use an ad-supported model to make money, although some providers have been known to log your browsing activity and sell it to third parties.
Fix Netflix proxy error FAQ
Why does Netflix ban VPN IP addresses?
Netflix has an advanced a VPN detection system that tries to determine when you’re accessing the service from abroad. This is mainly due to licensing rights; contracts may dictate that a particular TV series or movie can be shown in one country (for example the US) but not in another. As many people were accessing Netflix via VPNs, the company was under pressure from major studios to prevent their use.
When Netflix detects an IP address belongs to a VPN, the IP address is blacklisted. This leads to the appearance of the Netflix “you seem to be using an unblocker or proxy” streaming error or sometimes Netflix error m7111-5059.
What can I watch on Netflix?
Netflix has a vast amount of content, much of which is its own original programming. However, here’s a list of some of the most popular original content you can watch on Netflix:
- Squid Game
- The Witcher
- Cowboy Bebop
- Midnight Mass
- I Think You Should Leave
- Money Heist
- The Chair
- Lost in Space
Why does Netflix use the terms “unblocker” and “proxy” instead of “VPN”?
Netflix is using different terminology because they are trying to avoid any confusion. When you use a VPN, you are masking your IP address from the streaming service. By calling their software an “unblocker” or “proxy,” they are not technically lying, as these services do in fact unblock geographic restrictions.
However, since a VPN also provides privacy and security benefits, this could cause some Netflix users to believe that they don’t need to use a VPN in addition to the unblocker/proxy software.
What is the common Netflix proxy error code?
The most common Netflix Error Code is F7111-5059. It’s an error that indicates you are using a proxy or unblocker service to access the Netflix service from outside of the authorized geographic region. This error can be caused by either a problem with the proxy or unblocker service, or by a problem with your own internet connection.
If you are seeing this error, please try disabling your proxy or unblocker service and restarting your device. If you are still seeing this error after disabling your proxy or unblocker, please try resetting your modem and router. If you are still seeing this error after resetting your modem and router, please contact your internet service provider for assistance.
Why is Netflix saying I'm using a proxy when I'm not?
You may come across the “You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy” error message even if you’re not using a proxy. Of course, this may mean you’re using a VPN instead. If that’s not the case but you’ve used a proxy or VPN recently, it may be that Netflix still remembers that IP address. You may need to clear your cookies in order for it to be forgotten.
Otherwise, there’s a chance that your IP address has simply been blacklisted by Netflix in error. The Netflix Help Center advises you to contact your ISP to update your IP address or get a new IP address. Failing this, connecting to one of the best VPNs for Netflix to change your IP address should fix the problem.