Netflix changes its content from one country to another, meaning some shows are only available in some countries. International travelers have previously been able to continue watching shows from back home with the help of a VPN or proxy service, but these days, there’s a good chance they’ll see the following error when connected:
“You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again.”
The best way to fix this Netflix “unblocker or proxy” error is by using a quality VPN. If you’re already using a VPN, seeing the error means that it’s unable to securely access Netflix or, at the very least, the IP address you’re using has been blacklisted by Netflix. Below, we’ve listed the best VPNs for regaining access to your usual Netflix library during your travels abroad.
How to fix Netflix “unblocker or proxy” error
This common Netflix streaming error is due to Netflix detecting the use of a VPN or proxy service. The good news is that there’s a quick and easy to fix. Our step-by-step guide explains what you need to do if you are getting the message “you seem to be using an unblocker or proxy”.
Here’s how to fix the Netflix proxy error:
- Sign up with a VPN that works with Netflix – we recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the appropriate VPN app or browser extension for your device.
- Open the VPN app or browser extension and connect to a server in your home country.
- Clear your browser’s cache and cookies. This ensures Netflix forgets your actual IP address and location. It will then accept the new IP address provided by the VPN.
- Go to Netflix and select your preferred content which should now be accessible as normal! If not, try another server. Alternatively, contact your VPN’s customer support for further assistance.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Netflix with no restrictions for a month—great if you want to keep watching content from back home as you travel.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Don’t have time to read the full article? Here’s a short summary of the best VPNs to fix the Netflix “you seem to be using an unblocker or proxy” error:
Best VPNs for fixing Netflix proxy error
- NordVPN: Our top choice for fixing the Netflix proxy error. 5,000+ fast servers. Excellent security and privacy credentials. 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Budget-friendly provider with no connection limits. Works great with Netflix and similar services. Good speeds and great security.
- ExpressVPN: A well-establish VPN known for its high speeds, powerful security features, and exceptional versatility.
- CyberGhost: High-speed servers for streaming Netflix. Secure VPN with encryption and a strict no-logs policy. Connect up to seven devices. Includes 24/7 live support.
- PrivateVPN: Fix the Netflix proxy error. Also works with BBC iPlayer and Hulu. Very fast servers for buffer and lag-free streaming. User-friendly apps and a no-logs policy.
- HideMyAss: IP addresses in most countries. Securely access Netflix abroad. Desktop and mobile apps and 24/7 support. Security features include encryption.
Which VPNs still work with Netflix?
In an effort to save you some time, we’ve come up with a list of the best VPNs for Netflix. VPNs were selected based on their meeting the following criteria:
- Servers that work reliably with Netflix
- Fast and consistent connections for streaming
- Secures your data with encryption and no-logs policy
- Offers live chat and email support, preferably 24/7
- Beginner-friendly apps for desktop and mobile
- Money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free
Best VPNs to fix Netflix “you seem to be using an unblocker or proxy” error
Here’s our list of the best VPNs to fix the Netflix unblocker or proxy error:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top choice and is well placed to fix the Netflix “you seem to be using an unblocker or proxy” error. It has a vast network of more than 5,200 exceptionally fast servers, located in 60+ countries. Additionally, this service works with some of the most popular sites including Netflix and BBC iPlayer. NordVPN even offers servers which are optimized for P2P sharing or increased privacy (via Double VPN or Onion over VPN).
With NordVPN, you can protect all of your most commonly used devices as up to six simultaneous connections are permitted. Further, there’s a wide range of apps and browser extensions which make getting connected quick and easy. This VPN is based in Panama and operates a strict no-logs policy. You’re also protected through NordVPN’s use of 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and kill switch. If you have any questions about these features, you can contact support over live chat 24/7.
NordVPN apps are offered for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Android TV. Browser extensions are available for Chrome and Firefox. Routers require manual configuration.
- Huge network of over 5,200 makes it ideal for safe streaming
- Works with Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and more
- Fastest VPN on the market
- Provides 24/7 customer support via live chat and email
- Includes a strict no-logs policy to protect your online privacy
- Desktop app can take slightly longer to connect
BEST VPN TO FIX NETFLIX PROXY ERROR:NordVPN is our top choice for Netflix. Has over 5,200 very fast servers. Works great with many popular services. Offers 24/7 support, intuitive apps, and a strict no-logs policy. Try it risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is our top budget pick. It works well with Netflix and has quickly grown to become a strong choice for anyone who streams regularly. Surfshark has around 3,200 servers across 65 countries. What’s more, this VPN works with BBC iPlayer and Hulu and is torrenting-friendly. It’s perfect for families because it lets you connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously.
Another area in which Surfshark excels is its ease of use. The apps and browser extensions are very well designed and shouldn’t cause any confusion, even for VPN novices. Features include an ad-blocker and a whitelister for choosing which apps can bypass the VPN. Surfshark is highly secure and had its browser extensions independently audited to back this up. Your personal data is protected with 256-bit AES encryption and a kill switch. There’s also a strict no-logs policy and DNS and IPv6 leak protection.
Signing up to Surfshark allows you access to its apps for Linux, Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. You can also download Chrome and Firefox browser extensions. Routers require manual setup.
- Makes it easy to stream Netflix
- Connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously
- Very user-friendly
- Secure service with encryption, kill switch, and a no-logs policy
- Settings menu is a little unorganized
BEST FOR THE MONEY:Surfshark lets you connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously – perfect for families! Works with Netflix, Hulu, and more. No-logs VPN with 24/7 support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has servers in 94 countries, allowing you to securely access your home Netflix library as you travel. This VPN’s server network consists of more than 3,000 servers in countries including the US, UK, Australia, and Japan. Aside from being able to resolve the Netflix proxy error, ExpressVPN also works with Amazon Prime Video and BBC iPlayer. Further, it lets you connect up to five devices simultaneously via a single account.
ExpressVPN is also known to be very beginner-friendly. There’s 24/7 live chat and email support, plus the apps and browser extensions make it simple to connect to a server. Security is another of ExpressVPN’s strengths. It secures your data using 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS and IPv6 leak protection. This VPN is headquartered in the British Virgin Islands and doesn’t keep any identifying logs of its users.
You can use ExpressVPN via the apps for desktop (Windows, Mac, Linux), mobile (Android and iOS), and routers. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available.
- Servers in 94 countries
- Fast, consistent servers for lag and buffer-free streaming
- Uses encryption and a kill switch to keep your data secure
- Includes 24/7 via live chat and email
- Slightly more expensive than most VPNs
STREAM SECURELY:ExpressVPN is fast and security-conscious, making it ideal for watching Netflix abroad. Provides 24/7 support, user-friendly apps, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost offers thousands of high-speed servers spread across 91 countries including the US. This means it’s easy to stream Netflix from abroad without any noticeable buffering or lag. Aside from fixing the Netflix proxy error, it works well with services like the BBC iPlayer. Another advantage of this Romania-based VPN is that it lets you connect up to seven devices simultaneously (more than most VPNs allow).
A CyberGhost account includes access to 24/7 support via live chat and email. Better still, this VPN comes with a lengthy 45-day money-back guarantee (most VPNs offer 30 days at most). Connect to a CyberGhost server and you’ll be protected from DNS and IPv6 leaks. It also safeguards your privacy with a strict no-logs policy, 256-bit encryption, automatic ad-blocking and malware-scanning, as well as a kill switch.
Fix the Netflix proxy error via CyberGhost’s apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, and Android TV. You can also use Chrome and Firefox browser extensions. Manual installation is required for use with Linux and routers.
- Works well with Netflix
- Allows up to seven simultaneous connections
- Provides live chat and email support, 24/7
- Strong security with encryption and a strict no-logs policy
- Lack of configuration options will frustrate power users
45-DAY MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE:CyberGhost has very fast speeds for streaming Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and more. Use on up to seven devices simultaneously. Thousands of servers in 90 countries and 24/7 live chat support. Strict no-logs policy. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is a Swedish VPN service that places an emphasis on quality over quantity. While it has a relatively small network of servers, those they have are fast and reliable, making them ideal for streaming and torrenting. You can use this VPN to fix the Netflix unblocker or proxy error and watch the likes of Netflix US and Netflix Japan. Further, it works with Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and HBO Max. Overall, PrivateVPN has servers in 60+ countries around the world.
You can use PrivateVPN to secure up to six of your desktop and mobile devices simultaneously. This VPN offers excellent customer service and its live chat feature allows you to speak to the developers directly. When you use PrivateVPN, your data is secured with 256-bit AES encryption. There’s also DNS and IPv6 leak protection, a kill switch and a no-logs policy. What’s more, you can even pay semi-anonymously with Bitcoin.
PrivateVPN offers apps for desktop (Windows and Mac) as well as mobile (Android and iOS). However, you’ll need to follow manual setup instructions for using PrivateVPN with Linux and routers.
- Very fast servers for streaming Netflix
- Watch Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and more
- Beginner-friendly apps for desktop and mobile platforms
- Protects your privacy with encryption and no-logs policy
- Only offers around 200 servers
- Limited selection of apps and no browser extensions
HIGH SPEED SERVERS:PrivateVPN is a very fast VPN for streaming and torrenting. Use it to watch Netflix abroad. Lets you connect up to six devices. Live chat support, beginner-friendly apps, and strong security with encryption. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
HideMyAss has a network of approximately 1,100 servers. What’s particularly impressive is that it offers IP addresses for almost every country in the world. For this reason, you’ll be able to use HideMyAss to securely access several Netflix libraries, including Netflix USA and Netflix UK. You can also use it to watch BBC iPlayer or Hulu, among other popular streaming services. HideMyAss offers 24/7 live chat support, helping you quickly resolve any issues you might encounter.
This VPN allows P2P file-sharing and lets you connect up to five devices simultaneously via a single account. The HideMyAss apps are user-friendly and even let you automatically connect to the best available server. HideMyAss offers plenty of security features to protect your online privacy and anonymity. This includes 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch. You can even choose to shuffle your IP address, making it harder to track your location.
HideMyAss apps are available to download for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. This VPN can also be configured manually with Linux and select routers.
- Works with several Netflix libraries
- Steady speeds
- 24/7 live chat and email support
- Uses high level of encryption to keep your data safe
- Logs IP addresses of users
- Quite expensive compared to most VPNs on this list
BROWSE FROM ANYWHERE:HideMyAss has IP addresses for most countries. Use it to securely stream Netflixas you travel. Offers 24/7 live chat support and is torrenting-friendly. Secures your data with encryption but keep logs of IP addresses. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full HideMyAss review.
Why does Netflix ban VPN IP addresses?
In 2016, Netflix implemented a VPN detection system to know when you access the service when using a VPN. This was mainly due to licensing rights; contracts may dictate that a particular TV series or movie can be shown in one country (for example the US) but not in another. As many people were accessing Netflix via VPNs, the company was under pressure from major studios to prevent their use.
When Netflix detects an IP address belongs to a VPN, the IP address is blacklisted. This leads to the appearance of the Netflix “you seem to be using an unblocker or proxy” streaming error or sometimes Netflix error m7111-5059.
Can I use a free VPN to fix the Netflix proxy error?
No, the vast majority of free VPNs wont work with Netflix. That’s because Netflix has implemented anti-VPN measures in recent years. The problem for free providers is that they have a limited number of IP addresses and far too many users on each server. These IP addresses are quickly flagged by Netflix, essentially rendering the server useless for using the platform. Furthermore, the servers of free VPNs are often very slow, which isn’t ideal for streaming anyway.
Aside from Netflix, free VPNs struggle with many other websites and services including Amazon Prime Video and DAZN. Free VPNs also lack vital security features. In particular, they may not secure your data with encryption or use a kill switch to prevent data leaks. As with most free services, free VPNs often use an ad-supported model to make money, although some providers have been known to log your browsing activity and sell it to third parties.
What can I watch on Netflix?
Netflix has a vast amount of content, much of which is its own original programming. However, here’s a list of some of the most popular original content you can watch on Netflix:
- Orange Is the New Black
- Stranger Things
- The Umbrella Academy
- Our Planet
- Bird Box
- Triple Frontier
- Money Heist
- I Am Mother
- The Great Hack
- Last Chance U