Usually, if you try to access ITV Hub from outside the UK, you’ll see the following error:
“Oops! It looks as if there’s a problem. Please refresh your page or check out our ITV Hub Help.”
This happens because the service has checked your IP address and noticed that it doesn’t come from the UK. However, you can obtain a British IP address and trick ITV Hub into letting you watch simply by connecting to a British VPN server.
VPNs also enhance your online privacy by encrypting your traffic. This ensures that anyone who doesn’t have the correct decryption key (for instance, your internet service provider or employer) can’t see what you do online. You aren’t limited to unblocking ITV Hub either: most VPNs have servers in dozens of countries, enabling you to use region-locked platforms from all over the world.
How to watch ITV Hub abroad with a VPN
It’s easy to bypass regional restrictions with a VPN. Follow the steps below to unblock and watch ITV Hub from anywhere in the world:
To watch ITV Hub abroad with a VPN:
- First of all, create an ITV Hub account. This service is completely free to use, although you will be asked for a postal code during registration. This isn’t used to find your location, and in fact, you can enter any British postcode.
- Sign up for one of the VPNs below (we particularly recommend ExpressVPN).
- Download and install the VPN app, making sure to get the correct version for your device.
- Connect to any of your VPN’s English servers.
- Try playing a video on ITV Hub. It should begin immediately but if you’re still having trouble, you can fix most issues by clearing your browser’s cookies and cache then refreshing the page.
If you’re new to VPNs, you might be struggling to decide which service is right for you. We recommend choosing a versatile, well-rounded VPN so that no matter what you’d like to do online, you’ll be protected. That’s why we’ve decided to only recommend VPNs that meet all of the criteria below:
- Can consistently unblock ITV Hub from outside the UK
- Is fast enough to watch live HD video
- Uses effectively uncrackable encryption and includes further security options
- Doesn’t log any information that could identify you
- Provides apps for the most popular operating systems and devices
We’ll cover all of the best VPNs for using ITV Hub abroad in more detail later, but if you’re in a rush, you’ll find a brief summary of each below:
Best VPNs to watch ITV Hub abroad
- ExpressVPN: Offers high speeds and access to over 3,000 servers in 94 countries. Has a strong commitment to security, keeps no logs, and can reliably unblock ITV Hub abroad.
- NordVPN: With more than 800 high-speed British servers, advanced security and privacy features, and strong unblocking ability, NordVPN is ideal for watching ITV outside the UK.
- CyberGhost: A fast and versatile service that just works. Has over 3,700 servers in 59 countries, good unblocking capabilities, pre-configured security settings, and a no-logs policy.
- IPVanish: Includes a no-logs policy, advanced security features, and high-speed servers in 60+ countries. Can unblock several popular platforms including ITV Hub abroad.
- PrivateVPN: Strong unblocking capabilities, very fast speeds, and a wide range of security and privacy protections make PrivateVPN an excellent choice for streaming ITV outside the UK.
- Surfshark: This VPN has powerful security options, a zero-logs policy, reasonable unblocking ability, and best of all, no connection limit, allowing you to stream ITV anywhere.
Best VPNs for streaming ITV Hub abroad
Below, we’ll review each of the best VPNs for ITV Hub in greater detail:
ExpressVPN has over 3,000 high-speed servers in 94 countries, including the UK. With excellent unblocking ability and unlimited bandwidth, this service is ideal for using services like ITV Hub, Netflix, or Eleven Sports from outside the UK. Plus, with up to five simultaneous connections permitted, you can stream on whichever device you prefer.
This VPN doesn’t compromise when it comes to security. It includes 256-bit AES encryption, protection against IPv6 and DNS leaks, and a kill switch which stops all data transferal if you lose connection unexpectedly. ExpressVPN doesn’t log any personally identifiable information but you’re free to pay with Bitcoin for added anonymity. Live, chat-based support is available 24/7 in case of any issues.
ExpressVPN has apps for MacOS, Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android. There’s also custom router firmware to make it easier for you to protect all of your devices.
- Also great for unblocking Netflix, Hulu and other popular sites
- High speeds for downloading and video streaming
- Best in class security and privacy
- Anonymous setup and payments available
- Lacks some advanced features for power-users
BEST VPN FOR ITV HUB:ExpressVPN is our #1 choice for using ITV Hub abroad. It’s fast, security-conscious, and capable of unblocking numerous popular streaming services. ExpressVPN comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can use it to stream ITV risk-free.
Take a look at our full ExpressVPN review.
Special Offer - get 3 months extra FREEGET DEAL
NordVPN has over 5,000 servers in 60 countries, around 800 of which are in the UK. One of the best things about this service is that it unblocks not just ITV Hub, but also stubborn platforms like Netflix and BBC iPlayer. Further, with reliably high speeds and up to six connections allowed, you’re free to watch whatever you like, on any device, free from buffering and lag.
This service boasts a wide range of security features including 256-bit encryption, protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks, an app-specific kill switch, ad-blocking, and malware-scanning. There are also specialized servers for accessing Tor over VPN or using a multi-hop VPN. NordVPN has a strict no-logging policy. If you need help, you can reach customer support 24/7 over live chat.
NordVPN apps are available for Linux, Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS. Manual configuration is required for network routers, however.
- Vast network of fast, low-latency servers
- Easily unblocks a wide range of geo-restricted sites
- Allows for customized security setup
- No-logs policy
- Desktop app can be awkward to use, needs updating
POWERFUL, LOW-COST VPN:NordVPN offers high speeds, a no-logs policy, customizable security features, and the ability to watch ITV from anywhere, at a very reasonable price. This service even comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our in-depth review of NordVPN.
Save 70% with this limited deal on 3 year plansGET DEAL
CyberGhost is a simple yet versatile VPN designed for novice users. It offers very high speeds, access to 3,500+ servers in 59 countries, and the ability to unblock popular services like ITV Hub from outside the UK. Further, up to seven simultaneous connections are permitted, so you can protect all your devices with a single account.
Don’t be fooled by its user-friendly design: CyberGhost includes a wealth of security features. There’s 256-bit encryption, automatic wifi protection, a kill switch (in every version), DNS and IPv6 leak protection, malware-scanning, and ad-blocking. Best of all, these features are all enabled by default. CyberGhost doesn’t log any data that could identify you, but you can sign up anonymously with a disposable email if you’d like. Support is available over live-chat 24/7.
CyberGhost provides apps for Windows, Android, MacOS, and iOS. This service can be manually installed on Linux systems and wireless routers.
- All security features enabled by default
- Fast, streaming-optimized servers
- Very good at unblocking geo-restricted sites and content
- Less suitable for power users
IDEAL FOR NOVICES:CyberGhost makes it easy to watch ITV in other countries. It has 300+ fast UK servers, reliably unblocks ITV Hub, and includes various advanced security features. CyberGhost includes a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Check out our complete CyberGhost review.
Flash Sale - save 79% on the 3 year planGET DEAL
IPVanish has over 1,300 servers across 60+ countries, and around 80 in the UK alone. It’s fast enough for HD live streaming, and allows you to watch ITV Hub from anywhere in the world. IPVanish permits up to 10 connections at once, which is particularly generous given that many of its rivals only allow six at most.
This service uses 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and DNS and IPv6 leak protection to keep your activities private at all times. There are also options to block local traffic entirely or scramble OpenVPN data, allowing you to use networks that usually block VPN connections. You can contact IPVanish customer support 24/7 via live chat. This service keeps no logs whatsoever, guaranteeing your privacy.
IPVanish offers apps for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS. It works on Linux-based platforms and internet routers but must be installed manually.
- Fast, lightweight VPN with excellent multi-platform support
- All the security and privacy features you need for most situations
- No-logs policy
- Struggles to unblock some streaming platforms
WATCH ITV ANYWHERE:IPVanish boasts over 80 very fast UK servers, a high connection limit, multi-platform support, and the ability to reliably unblock ITV Hub abroad. All IPVanish plans include a seven-day money-back guarantee.
Read our comprehensive IPVanish review.
Comparitech Exclusive - save 60% on the 1 year planGET DEAL
PrivateVPN has a smaller network than some of its rivals (150 servers in 60 countries) but it helps make up for it by providing much higher speeds. Further, PrivateVPN has excellent unblocking capabilities, allowing you to use services like Netflix, Hulu, and ITV Hub anywhere. It permits up to six connections at once, so you can even stream on the go.
This VPN keeps you safe online using 256-bit encryption, DNS, WebRTC, and IPV6 leak protection, and a kill switch (Windows only). There is an option to pay with Bitcoin, but as PrivateVPN is a zero-logs provider, you can’t be traced either way. Support is available via live chat from 3 PM – 1 PM PST every day, and if you’re really struggling, the staff can even install the software for you remotely.
PrivateVPN has MacOS, iOS, Windows, and Android apps. It can be manually configured to work with Linux systems and home routers.
- Very fast speeds
- Gaining a reputation for unblocking popular streaming sites
- Accepts Bitcoin
- Doesn’t have 24/7 live chat
- Small number of servers, newish provider still expanding their network
FLAWLESS STREAMING:PrivateVPN provides consistently high speeds and allows you to easily access ITV Hub outside the UK. It offers excellent security and privacy protections including a zero-logs policy. This VPN comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Take a look at the complete PrivateVPN review.
Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year planGET DEAL
Surfshark offers unlimited bandwidth, high speeds, and access to more than 800 servers in 50 countries including the UK. This service has no connection limit, and it unblocks platforms like ITV Hub, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video abroad, so you’re free to stream whatever you like, wherever you like, on whichever device you prefer.
This VPN’s security features include 256-bit encryption, a kill switch (in every version), and DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak protection. Surfshark doesn’t log any personally identifiable information, meaning your activities can’t be traced back to you. You can still pay with Bitcoin if you’d like. Need help? Customer support is available over live chat 24/7.
Surfshark provides apps for Windows, Android, MacOS, and iOS devices. It must be manually installed on Linux-based platforms and network routers.
- No limit on number of devices connected
- Offers a fast, reliable service
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- A relatively small server network
- Some slow speeds
PROTECT EVERY DEVICE:Surfshark has high speeds, no connection limit, several advanced security features, and a no-logs policy, plus it unblocks platforms like ITV Hub abroad. A 30-day money-back guarantee is included.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year planGET DEAL
Can I use ITV Hub with a free VPN?
We strongly advise against using a free VPN for several reasons. First and foremost, they generally provide very slow speeds since they often have fewer servers yet more users than paid VPNs. This makes browsing frustrating and streaming near-impossible. Additionally, popular streaming platforms tend to block free VPNs first, so even if you manage to get a fast enough connection, you might still not be able to watch ITV Hub abroad.
There’s not even any guarantee your free VPN is safe. In fact, an analysis of 280+ free VPN apps found that almost 40% contained malware. Perhaps worst of all, 18% never used any encryption whatsoever, meaning they were effectively no safer than browsing without a VPN. You aren’t necessarily any safer with a well-known service, as we’ve seen Hola sell idle user bandwidth to help run a botnet.
Using a VPN with a user-first logging policy and a history of standing up for customer privacy is the best way to stay safe online.
What can I watch on the ITV Hub?
ITV Hub lets you watch six channels live (ITV, ITV2, ITVBe, ITV3, CITV, and ITV4), so there’s sure to be something that interests you. Below, we’ve listed some of the shows you can stream for free on ITV Hub:
- Love Island
- The Voice Kids
- Take Me Out
- Coronation Street
- The Chase
- Dinner Date
- Beecham House
- Buying and Selling
- You’ve Been Framed!
- 1 How to watch ITV Hub abroad with a VPN
- 2 Best VPNs for streaming ITV Hub abroad
- 3 1. ExpressVPN
- 4 Special Offer - get 3 months extra FREE
- 5 2. NordVPN
- 6 Save 70% with this limited deal on 3 year plans
- 7 3. CyberGhost
- 8 Flash Sale - save 79% on the 3 year plan
- 9 4. IPVanish
- 10 Comparitech Exclusive - save 60% on the 1 year plan
- 11 5. PrivateVPN
- 12 Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year plan
- 13 6. Surfshark
- 14 Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year plan
- 15 Can I use ITV Hub with a free VPN?
- 16 What can I watch on the ITV Hub?