American streaming site Syfy isn’t geo-restricted per se. The only way you can log in to stream the content on the platform is if you have a subscription with a US Cable provider such as Xfinity, DirecTV, or Verizon.
Since all the compliant cable providers are US-based, you will need both a US IP address and a local subscription or you simply won’t be able to proceed further. Assuming you already have a cable subscription, the best way to overcome geo-restrictions is to use a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
A VPN will encrypt your internet connection by routing it via a server in a remote location. Encryption restricts your ISP from monitoring your digital footprint, and the server will obfuscate your real IP address, so any host sites can’t figure out where you’re located. This means you can access Syfy from Canada, the UK, Australia or any other location worldwide.
Best VPNs for watching Syfy outside the US
- ExpressVPN: Our top choice. Military-grade encryption coupled with fast speeds, robust leak protection, split tunneling, and other hardy features make it a natural choice.
- NordVPN: Leak-resistant connections and solid encryption means there’s more than enough support to access Syfy.
- CyberGhost: Top-notch security coupled with speed-optimized servers. Consistently one of the fastest VPNs we’ve tested.
- IPVanish: Can flip your IP address for a new one at preset intervals. Consistent speeds and no logs.
- PrivateVPN: Underrated performer that punches above its weight. Excellent unblocking capabilities along with a kill switch.
The top VPNs for Syfy have been recommended on the following factors:
- Speed and stability of service
- Ability to stream HD video Servers in the United States
- Ability to work across all popular platforms
- Strong encryption
- Provision for simultaneous connections
- Money-back guarantee
Best VPNs for Syfy
ExpressVPN is at the top of the list due to its superior service, military-grade encryption, and ease of use.
It offers a server network of over 3,000 servers around the globe, with plentiful options in the United States. Its unblocking capabilities extend across Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, ESPN, and Fox, so you accessing Syfy should pose no issues.
There are no logs stored that could potentially identify a user. A sliver of information pertaining to popular servers and time of connection is recorded but used to improve service levels.
Apps for both Android and iOS are available, as are desktop clients for Windows and MacOS. This provider can be configured to some wifi routers and allows five devices to connect with one account.
- Top-class security and privacy protection features
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Over 3,000 servers in 94 countries
- 24/7 live chat support
- User-friendly apps for a variety of operating systems
- Slightly more expensive than some other providers
BEST VPN FOR SYFY:ExpressVPN is our top choice for Syfy due to its robust, fast speeds and unrivaled unblocking capabilities. Try it risk-free with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Here’s our review of ExpressVPN.
Special Offer - get 3 months extra FREEGET DEAL
NordVPN makes use of unhackable encryption in addition to a firm no-logs policy which signify its position as an experienced player in the VPN space. It will work very well for an HD connection to stream Syfy.
With over 5,000 servers in 60 countries around the world and dozens of options in the US, NordVPN has you covered. It’s also proven to work with a host of streaming providers, including US Netflix and more. You’re also allowed to choose a server that’s specifically for your intent – HD streaming, double encryption, Tor over VPN, and more.
As we mentioned, NordVPN is known as a completely logless VPN service — the company doesn’t store any user data.
Apps for both Android and iOS are available, along with desktop clients for Windows and MacOS. A single subscription grants access to six devices at the same time.
- Strong security and privacy credentials
- Military-grade 256-bit encryption for great privacy
- Great low-cost alternative for streaming
- Strict no-logs policy ideal for privacy-conscious users
- Can’t specify a city you want to connect to
AFFORDABLE OPTION:NordVPN is great for the budget conscious. It unblocks Syfy, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video. Apps are easy to use and provide numerous advanced security and privacy features. Plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of NordVPN.
Save 70% with this limited deal on 3 year plansGET DEAL
CyberGhost is a solid all-rounder, scoring points on both safety and speed so it should definitely occupy a place on your list. It delivers the full package with strong encryption, DNS leak protection, and an internet kill switch to ensure your connection is well-protected.
Currently this provider offers access to more than 3,500 servers in 60 countries including plentiful options in the United States. It’s able to unblock several streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer.
It performs very well from a video streaming perspective – with quick speeds and no logs. Plus, additional security features such as an adblocker, anti-malware defense, and anti-tracking ensure that your connection is protected at all times.
A paid subscription grants access for seven devices at the same time. You’ll find apps for both Android and iOS, along with desktop support for Windows and MacOS.
- Offers 24/7 live chat
- Provides a secure, encrypted connection
- Unblocks Netflix US, UK, and others
- Less suitable for power users
IDEAL FOR NEWCOMERS:CyberGhost is fast, intuitive, and excellent for streaming. It comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of CyberGhost.
Flash Sale - save 79% on the 3 year planGET DEAL
IPVanish has been around for several years and offers speedy, robust connections around the globe. Its encryption capabilities are among the best in the business.
At the time of writing, this provider gives you an option of more than 1,200 servers spread across 60 countries. There are hundreds of servers located in the US. Some of the streaming services it unblocks are HBO Now, Sling TV, and BBC iPlayer.
IPVanish is another ‘no-logs’ provider, as it follows a policy of not storing any data that could identify a user. It owns all the servers it operates rather than outsourcing to third parties, giving it much more control over user traffic.
IPVanish also allows for 10 devices to connect at the same time — that’s the most generous offering on this list.
This provider is quite popular with Kodi users for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it enables them to download the Android APK directly to their device. Secondly, the interface is remote control-friendly for Kodi devices that don’t have a keyboard and mouse.
Apps are available for both Android and iOS, and there’s desktop software for Windows and MacOS.
- Very fast speeds
- Owns rather than rents its servers
- No-logs policy
- Apps don’t work in China
STREAMING VPN:IPVanish is ultra-secure, quick, and has all the facets of a modern-day VPN. It comes armed with a 7-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
Comparitech Exclusive - save 60% on the 1 year planGET DEAL
PrivateVPN is one of the younger providers on our list, but it does the job very well. The service is optimized for both speed and location-evading tech.
At the moment, there are over 100 servers in 60 countries. The server network isn’t as extensive as some of the other providers we’ve recommended, but there are options in the United States. What’s more, PrivateVPN does a really good job of unblocking geo-restricted media sites.
Some of the sites it unblocks easily are Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and ITV Hub. It’ll do the job for Syfy without breaking a sweat.
Apps are available for Android, iOS, Windows, and MacOS. A single subscription allows for six devices to connect simultaneously.
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Very fast speeds
- Accepts Bitcoin
- Small number of servers to choose from
- May need support assistance in locating the best server to choose
UPCOMING:PrivateVPN is fast, stable, and unblocks a large number of streaming sites. All plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of PrivateVPN.
Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year planGET DEAL
Should I use a free VPN to access Syfy?
Free VPNs exist in droves across the interwebs but they’re a poor fit if your aim is to stream HD video. Such services normally only offer a few choices of server locations (with no guarantee that the US will be included), engage in bandwidth throttling, and go to extreme lengths to make money off you. Yes, they’re tempting because of the lack of any upfront payment but you’ll probably end up regretting your decision to use them.
If you’re trying to access Syfy from a location outside the United States, your best bet is to use a paid VPN that has servers optimized for speed as well as hardy, location-evading technology in-built. Customer support is also preferred so you can talk to a specialist in case your attempts to connect are hitting a brick wall. However, free VPNs usually have non-existent customer support and will likely interrupt your experience with a ton of invasive advertisements.
It’s in your best interests to use a paid VPN as a free offering is significantly underwhelming.
How do I access Syfy with a VPN?
Provided you have a US cable subscription, you can access Syfy from anywhere with a VPN. Here’s how to get started:
To watch Syfy outside the US:
- Register for a VPN (our recommendation is ExpressVPN) and proceed to download and install the app directly from the provider’s site or an app marketplace.
- Select a server in the United States. If you’re unsure, just check with customer support.
- Connect to the VPN before logging on to Syfy.
- Once the connection is established, navigate to Syfy’s website and log in with your cable account.
- You should now be able to stream all the content you want. If it doesn’t work immediately, just clear your browser cookies and try again.
What content can I stream on Syfy?
Some of the popular titles on Syfy are:
- Gary and his Demons
- San Andreas
- Alien News Desk
- Krypton Happy
Why is Syfy only available through cable operators?
Syfy is a cable affiliate, meaning it doesn’t cost customers extra to stream the service as long as they have an existing cable connection. Unfortunately, what that also means is that there’s no separate livestream that cord cutters can pay for, bypassing the need to get a cable subscription first.
Syfy’s status as a cable affiliate means that’s how it generates the bulk of its revenue. Cable providers pay it a certain amount of money to provide the service to their customers. There’s also some additional advertising that it permits on the platform to earn more money.
Streaming Syfy on Android Box, Apple TV, Xbox One, Fire TV and other devices
Other than PCs, Macs, iOS devices, and Android devices, Syfy is also compatible with Apple TV, Android TV, Xbox One, Amazon Fire TV, and some smart TV apps. It also has its own Android and iOS app that you can use for streaming.
These devices don’t offer native support for VPN apps, so it’s not a question of simply downloading VPN software and following the step-by-step instructions. However, there are workarounds.
One way to leverage a VPN for the devices in question is to use a virtual router. In this situation, a PC equipped with a wifi card is able to transmit its own wifi signals – just like how smartphones set up wifi hotspots.
You can also set up a VPN on a physical router if the firmware supports it.
One such firmware is DD-WRT, a free and open source option that works on a wide range of router models. Paid VPN providers also offer tutorials on how you can set up their individual apps on routers; check individual sites for more detail.
- 1 Best VPNs for Syfy
- 2 1. ExpressVPN
- 3 Special Offer - get 3 months extra FREE
- 4 2. NordVPN
- 5 Save 70% with this limited deal on 3 year plans
- 6 3. CyberGhost
- 7 Flash Sale - save 79% on the 3 year plan
- 8 4. IPVanish
- 9 Comparitech Exclusive - save 60% on the 1 year plan
- 10 5. PrivateVPN
- 11 Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year plan
- 12 Should I use a free VPN to access Syfy?
- 13 How do I access Syfy with a VPN?
- 14 What content can I stream on Syfy?
- 15 Why is Syfy only available through cable operators?
- 16 Streaming Syfy on Android Box, Apple TV, Xbox One, Fire TV and other devices