The fact that you’re here reading this article suggests you too have come across one of the following HTTP proxy errors on Amazon Video:
“Your device’s Internet connection is using an HTTP proxy which prevents playing your video. Please close or disable any proxy programs and try again.” or “Your device is connected to the internet using a VPN or proxy service. please disable it and try again. for more help, go to primevideo.com/vpn.’’
This means that your VPN or Smart DNS proxy has been detected. This is common with Smart TV owners because Smart TVs use the Smart DNS system which some streaming platforms don’t like.
Also known as a “Virtual Private Network”, a VPN helps you unblock region-locked services like Amazon Prime Video abroad. It does this by encrypting your device’s internet traffic and routing it through a server in another country. For example, if you’re trying to watch the American version of Amazon Prime Video, you’ll want to connect to a server in the US. Unfortunately, Amazon blacklists the IP addresses of many VPN servers, which means only the best VPNs can bypass the restrictions.
If you don’t have time to read the full article, here’s a short summary list of the best VPNs to fix the Amazon Prime HTTP proxy error:
- ExpressVPN Fixes the Amazon Prime HTTP proxy error. Fast and reliable connections. 24/7 support, user-friendly apps and a high level of security with encryption. 30-day money-back guarantee included.
- NordVPN Works well with Amazon Prime Video. Over 5,000 servers in 60 countries. Use on up to 6 connected devices. Easy to use apps and excellent privacy protection with no-logs policy.
- Surfshark Unblock geo-restricted online video streaming services including Amazon Prime Video. User-friendly, 24/7 support, and unlimited connections. Offers app for Amazon Fire TV.
- CyberGhost Unblocks Amazon Prime and offers an app for Amazon Fire TV and Fire Stick. Connect up to 7 devices simultaneously. Protects your privacy with a strict no-logs policy.
- PrivateVPN High-speed service for streaming Amazon Prime. Easy to use for beginners and allows up to 6 simultaneous connections. Secures your data with encryption.
- Hotspot Shield Unblocks Amazon Prime Video with ease. Has over 3,000 high-speed servers worldwide. Boasts powerful security features including effectively uncrackable encryption.
How to fix the Amazon Prime HTTP proxy error
The good news is that you don’t need to do much to fix the Amazon Prime HTTP proxy error. In fact, there’s a quick and easy solution:
- Choose one of the VPN services that still works with Amazon Prime Video – we recommend ExpressVPN.
- Download the appropriate software for your operating system. The best VPNs offer apps for desktop and mobile. Some even offer browser extensions.
- Open the VPN app or browser extension and connect to a server in the region you wish to access the internet from. This might be the USA, for example.
- Go to Amazon Prime Video and open the content you want to watch. This should now be unblocked, with no HTTP proxy error.
- If you are still coming up against the HTTP proxy error, try clearing your browser’s cookies. Alternatively, try another server or contact your VPN’s customer support.
There are many VPNs on the market which can make it difficult to find the right service. For this reason, we’ve narrowed down the list by only selecting VPNs that meet the following criteria:
- Fast connections and servers that work with Amazon Prime Video
- Global network of servers in dozens of countries
- Secure browsing with encryption and a kill switch
- Privacy protection in the form of a user-first logging policy
- Easy to use, with apps for desktop and mobile
- Allows simultaneous connections on multiple devices
Best VPNs to fix the Amazon Prime HTTP proxy error
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for fixing the Amazon Prime HTTP proxy error:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is the most reliable VPN for fixing the Amazon Prime HTTP proxy error. This VPN has over 3,000 servers in 94 countries and has consistently worked with Amazon Prime Video. With unlimited bandwidth (no data caps), very high-speed connections, and the ability to unblock platforms like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and ESPN, ExpressVPN is perfect for streaming platforms.
One of the best features of ExpressVPN is its customer support. In all likelihood, you won’t need it that often, but if you do, you can reach it 24/7 over email or live chat. This is a very user-friendly VPN service with a great selection of apps and browser extensions. Setting up, connecting to a server, and watching Amazon Prime Video is quick and easy.
Whether streaming Amazon Prime Video or simply browsing the web, your online security is paramount. ExpressVPN encrypts your traffic with 256-bit AES encryption and protects against DNS leaks. A kill switch and the split tunneling feature lets you choose which traffic you’d like to route through the VPN. ExpressVPN keeps no logs and is based in the British Virgin Islands, where there are no data retention laws.
You can use ExpressVPN on Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and routers. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available.
- Fast servers for streaming Amazon Prime Video
- Also unblocks Netflix, BBC iPlayer and more
- Lots of security features including encryption and split tunneling
- 24/7 customer support available via email and live chat
- Great selection of apps and browser extensions
- Headquartered in British Virgin Islands – no data retention laws
- More expensive than other VPNs on this list
BEST VPN TO FIX PROXY ERROR:ExpressVPN is our #1 choice. It’s fast, reliable and able to unblock platforms like Amazon Prime Video and Netflix. Features 24/7 support, user-friendly apps, and browser extensions. A 30-day money-back guarantee means you can try it out risk-free.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN has over 5,000 servers worldwide and works well with Amazon Prime Video. One of the advantages of so many servers and IP addresses is that you’re always likely to find one that works with geo-restricted content. In fact, NordVPN unblocks many popular online streaming services including Netflix, Hulu and HBO Go. Whether you’re browsing, streaming media or video calling, NordVPN has fast servers with less load and unlimited bandwidth.
We feel that NordVPN offers good value for money, particularly considering you can use it to secure up to six of your devices. Another advantage is that it offers very intuitive, easy-to-use apps as well as browser extensions. NordVPN is also extremely secure with 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection and a kill switch feature. This VPN service is headquartered in Panama where there are no mandatory data retention laws. Regardless of this fact, NordVPN operates a no-logs policy.
NordVPN apps are available to download for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and Android TV. Browser extensions are also available for Chrome and Firefox. Routers require manual setup.
- Works well with Amazon Prime Video subscription as well as Netflix, Hulu etc
- Network of over 5,000 servers for unblocking geo-restricted content
- Strong security with a strict no-logs policy to protect the privacy of users
- Secure up to 6 devices via a single account
- User-friendly apps and browser extensions
- Some servers can be a bit hit-and-miss
BEST BUDGET VPN:NordVPN offers excellent overall value. Able to fix the Amazon Prime HTTP proxy error, it also works with Netflix. Has over 5,000 servers and can be used on up to 6 devices. Secure with encryption and a no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a relatively new VPN service that launched in 2017. Aside from being able to fix the Amazon Prime HTTP proxy error, Surfshark also unblocks Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Hulu. Although it has a relatively small network of servers, Surfshark has high-speed servers in 50 countries. As such, you should have mo connection problems unblocking geo-restricted content wherever you are.
A standout feature of Surfshark is that it allows an unlimited number of connections. This means you and your family can secure all of your devices simultaneously. It also offers excellent 24/7 customer support which we found to be helpful and quick to respond. We can recommend Surfshark to beginners as it’s extremely easy to use with well-designed apps. Surfshark protects your data with 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. It’s based in the British Virgin Islands and has a strict no-logs policy, keeping no connection or internet activity logs.
Surfshark offers apps for the following: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. Browser extensions are also available for Chrome and Firefox. Manual configuration is needed for Linux and routers.
- Works well with Amazon Prime Video, Netflix and more
- Allows an unlimited number of internet connections
- Provides 24/7 customer support via live chat
- Highly secure using encryption and with a no-logs policy
- Doesn’t have the largest server network
UNLIMITED CONNECTIONS:Surfshark lets you access Amazon Prime Video content abroad, without receiving the HTTP proxy error. It offers an app for Amazon Fire TV, allows unlimited connections, and provides 24/7 support. All plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is a highly secure VPN service that lets you prevent the HTTP proxy error on Amazon Prime. What’s more, CyberGhost offers an app for Amazon Fire TV and Fire Stick, making it a particularly attractive option. It has more than 5,700 servers in 89+ countries, allowing you to access geo-restricted content from around the world. The high-speed servers and unlimited bandwidth allow for streaming in 1080p HD without any noticeable lag or buffering.
This VPN is an excellent option for families as it allows up to 7 simultaneous connections. It’s also ideal for beginners, with apps that are simple and easy to use. CyberGhost makes it easy to stay safe online, with 256-bit AES encryption to secure your data as well as protection from DNS and IP leaks. Also included in this Romania-based VPN service is an automatic kill switch and a strict no-logs policy.
CyberGhost offers the following apps: Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, and Android TV. Browser extensions are available for Chrome and Firefox. Manual setup is required for routers.
- Offers an app for Amazon Fire TV and Fire Stick
- High-speed connections for streaming Amazon Prime Video
- Excellent all-round security with encryption and a no-logs policy
- Over 5,700 servers around the world for unblocking online content
- Allows up to 7 simultaneous connections
- Doesn’t work in Turkey, China, UAE
GOOD CHOICE FOR BEGINNERS:CyberGhost is fast, offers excellent overall security, and easily unblocks Amazon Prime Video content abroad. Provides an Amazon Fire TV and Fire Stick app. Use on up to 7 devices simultaneously. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is a high-speed service that’s ideal for streaming platforms like Amazon Prime as well as Netflix. This is a smaller VPN with servers in 60 countries including the US and UK. In our testing, we found the connection speeds to be very stable, with no buffering while streaming in 1080p. It’s worth knowing that PrivateVPN lets you connect up to 6 devices simultaneously, all of which are assigned unique IP addresses.
While not available 24/7, the PrivateVPN customer support is excellent as you’ll be speaking to the developers directly. Aside from live chat and email options, PrivateVPN also offers remote desktop help. However, the apps are extremely user-friendly and should pose no problems even for beginners. Headquartered in Sweden, PrivateVPN states that it keeps no traffic logs and doesn’t know what you’re doing online. It includes 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection and a kill switch feature.
You can use PrivateVPN via its apps for desktop (Windows and Mac) and mobile (Android and iOS). However, Linux and routers require manual setup.
- High speed servers for streaming Amazon Prime Video and Netflix
- Secure with encryption and a kill switch feature
- Enjoy up to 6 simultaneous connections
- Live chat support and remote desktop help
- Smaller network of around 100 servers
- Limited selection of apps with no browser extensions available
FAST SERVERS:PrivateVPN is a fast VPN service for streaming Amazon Prime Video and Netflix. Allows you to secure up to 6 devices. User-friendly apps and includes all essential security features. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Hotspot Shield offers access to more than 3,000 servers in 70+ countries, which makes it easy for you to get a low-latency connection. Its speeds are impressive, and fast enough to watch live HD video quality with no noticeable lag or buffering. As well as letting you bypass Amazon’s proxy error, this VPN unblocks major platforms like Netflix US, BBC iPlayer, and ITV Hub from abroad.
This service comes with plenty of powerful security features. There’s 256-bit encryption to begin with, as well as DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch (which stops all traffic whenever you disconnect from the VPN suddenly). There are also options to connect automatically any time you use an unsecured wifi network and let certain websites bypass the VPN. Hotspot Shield doesn’t keep any personally identifiable data after your session ends. Need help? Customer support is on-hand 24/7 over live chat.
Hotspot Shield provides easy-to-use apps for Windows, Android, iOS, and MacOS devices.
- Great unblocking ability
- Fast enough for lag-free streaming
- Good range of security features
- Doesn’t have the best privacy record
- No Linux support
SPEEDY AND VERSATILE:Hotspot Shield provides both speed and security, making it a strong choice for anyone looking to use Amazon Prime (or similar region-locked online services) abroad. This VPN comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Hotspot Shield review.
Can I use a free VPN to fix the Amazon Prime HTTP proxy error?
Amazon is very efficient at detecting VPNs and regularly blacklists their IP addresses, meaning most free VPNs are unlikely to work. Free VPNs tend to have too many users on a limited number of servers and these IP addresses are quickly flagged as a result. In contrast, the best paid VPNs for Amazon Prime Video have hundreds or even thousands of servers and IP addresses. What’s more, some paid VPNs even offer apps for Amazon Fire TV and Amazon Fire Stick.
If you’re fortunate enough to find a free VPN that does unblock Amazon Prime Video, chances are performance will be comparatively poor. Free VPNs tend to have slow servers and offer very limited bandwidth. You’ll therefore find it difficult to stream HD videos without being interrupted by frequent buffering and severe lag.
Security is one of the main reasons to avoid using a free VPN. For starters, many free VPNs don’t secure your data with the highest level of encryption (and in some cases, they use no encryption at all). They may also lack important security features such as an automatic kill switch. Some free VPNs have even been known to sell logs of your online activity to third parties.
What can I watch on Amazon Prime?
Amazon Prime Video is a popular video streaming service that offers a wide range of movies and TV shows, including its own original content. The best VPNs for Amazon Prime allow you to watch all of this, including the following:
- Jack Ryan
- Some Like It Hot
- The Americans
- 20th Century Women
- The Handmaiden
Amazon Prime Video VPN Error FAQ
⭐Why am I being redirected to primevideo.com/vpn?
If you’re trying to access Amazon Prime Video but are being redirected, it may be that it has detected that you’re using a VPN. This means you’ll need to disable your VPN or connect to another server for a different IP address. Be sure to clear your browser’s cache and cookies for any changes to take effect.
⭐Is using a VPN to access Amazon Prime Video legal?
Yes, unless you’re in a country in which VPNs are illegal, it’s perfectly legal to use a VPN to access Amazon Prime Video. The same can also be said for Netflix. Take a look at our Where are VPN's Legal? article to find out more about using VPNs in your country.
⭐Can Amazon cancel my membership if I use a VPN?
While it’s legal to use a VPN to access Amazon Prime Video, doing so may be in violation of Prime Video’s terms of service. This could lead to the termination of your account. Fortunately, lots of people use VPNs with Prime Video with no issues so the cancellation of your membership is unlikely.
- 1 How to fix the Amazon Prime HTTP proxy error
- 2 Best VPNs to fix the Amazon Prime HTTP proxy error
- 3 1. ExpressVPN
- 4 2. NordVPN
- 5 3. Surfshark
- 6 4. CyberGhost
- 7 5. PrivateVPN
- 8 6. Hotspot Shield
- 9 Can I use a free VPN to fix the Amazon Prime HTTP proxy error?
- 10 What can I watch on Amazon Prime?
- 11 Amazon Prime Video VPN Error FAQ
- 12 Why am I being redirected to primevideo.com/vpn?
- 13 Is using a VPN to access Amazon Prime Video legal?
- 14 Can Amazon cancel my membership if I use a VPN?