Now that the Tampa Bay Lightning have skated away with the Stanley Cup in tow, it’s time to look forward to the 2021 season. For that, we launch right into the 2020 NHL Draft. The draft begins Tuesday, October 6, with the Round 1 live stream starting at 7 PM EST. You can watch the 2020 NHL Draft live online from anywhere in the US or Canada, although this is one event where you’ll be hard-pressed to find a good-quality live stream. That said, you can live stream the NHL Draft free in the US with free trial offers to select live TV streaming services.
The TV streaming services which show the NHL Draft are region-locked. This means you’ll need the help of a VPN to watch on your usual home services while traveling abroad.
How to watch the 2020 NHL Draft live online with a VPN
Geographic content blocks may prevent you from accessing the NHL Draft, especially if you’re outside the US or Canada where most streaming options for the NHL exist. You can still watch while traveling abroad if you utilize a VPN. Since streaming options are limited, many copyright-infringing streams may pop up. We recommend you avoid the risks associated with illegal streams and instead opt for a legally-available streaming service paired with a VPN to bypass any geo-blocks based on your location.
Here’s how to live stream the 2020 NHL Draft from anywhere:
- First, select a VPN provider. We highly recommend ExpressVPN. You’ll find NordVPN and Surfshark provide a similar experience if you’re looking to compare services.
- Once you’ve created your account, install the VPN client. Most options come with standalone apps for major devices and have extensions for Chrome and Firefox.
- Once your VPN is activated, connect to a server in the country where you want to stream the NHL Draft (such as the US).
- With your VPN connected to the server of your choice, go to the website of the streaming service you plan to use to watch the NHL Draft.
- You should now be able to bypass any content blocks and stream the 2020 NHL Draft live. Still blocked? Try clearing your browser’s cookies or load your browser into a private or incognito instance. You may also need to connect to a different VPN server to change your IP address.
The 2020 NHL Draft will be broadcast live, and only on paid streaming services in both the US and Canada. Free options exist in the US with free trials, while viewers in Canada will need a paid service. Anyone outside the US with a US-based payment method may be able to use a VPN to access legitimate streaming options.
BEST VPN FOR NHL DRAFT:ExpressVPN lets you stream the NHL Draft from anywhere. It comes with 24/7 support and a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free.
How to live stream the 2020 Draft on US TV
Although the NHL Conference Finals and Stanley Cup were available to stream over-the-air, the NHL puts the 2020 Draft behind paywalls. That doesn’t mean you’re completely without free options.
- Round 1 streams at 7 PM EST on Tuesday, October 6 via NBC Sports Network.
- Rounds 2-7 begin streaming at 11:AM EST on Wednesday, October 7 via NHL Network
There are several ways to access NBCSN free:
- Sling TV (Blue package @ $30/month) – Comes with a 3-day free trial
- FuboTV (Family package @ $64.99/month) – Comes with a 7-day free trial
- Hulu + Live TV ($54.99/month) – Comes with a 7-day free trial
- YouTube TV ($64.99/month) – Comes with a 7-day free trial
- AT&T TV Now (Plus package @ $55/month) – Comes with a 7-day free trial
Even if you’ve already created an account with one of these services, you likely haven’t trialed all of them. Just sign up for the free trial option to access NBCSN for free to watch all of Round 1 live.
NHL Network is a different story. The only services that carry NHL Network are AT&T TV Now (Xtra package @ $124/month), Sling TV (Any base package with the Sports Extra add-on for $40/month), and the standalone NHL TV streaming service ($9.99 per month). None of these are available with a free trial, so you can only watch Rounds 2-7 via a paid service. And, quite frankly, $9.99 definitely beats $124 or $40.
How to watch the 2020 Draft in Canada
SportsNet remains your best option for all things NHL in Canada. You can live stream both rounds fo the event on Tuesday and Wednesday through SportsNet Now. You can get a 7-day pass for $9.99 CAD, which is likely the best and cheapest option if you don’t plan to keep using SNNOW after the 2020 NHL Draft ends. Otherwise, the annual pass for SNNOW comes out to $16.67 CAD per month.
How to watch the NHL Draft abroad
If you’re currently abroad, you have limited options to watch the 2020 NHL Draft live online. NHL international broadcast rights vary, and there’s no guarantee those networks will carry the Draft. However, if you have a US-based payment method, you can sign up with a free trial for one of the US services that carry NBCSN for Round 1, and then sign up for NHL TV for Rounds 2-7. ExpressVPN is the best option we’ve tested for bypassing geographic content restrictions for any of the services you choose.
2020 NHL Draft Schedule
View the entire 2020 NHL Draft order on ESPN.